How can I wash my feather bed?

It's too big for my machine and all the cleaners I talked to won't do them.

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 7:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Normally you should put some kind of cover or duvet over them and just clean that because they really can't be cleaned..Maybe you could spray Febreze on it or try a high end dry cleaners..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 7:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Try the Febreze and then hang it outside for a while to get fresh air..Use a fitted sheet on top like pp said and just wash that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Thanks for your answers. It's not a feather quilt, it's like a pad that goes on the mattress to make the bed softer. It always had the mattress pad and a fitted sheet over it but my son was sleeping with us and his diaper leaked over night so I was hoping to get it cleaned somewhere. I don't think the Febreeze is going to cut it!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I actually washed my featherbed a couple of times. Laundromats have those huge washers that hold blankets. I let it air dry on the clothesline for about 4 days. I had to flip it a couple of times on the line. It smelled horrible for an additional week. I eventually got a waterproof duvet-like cover for it, then I would put the duvet cover over that. I wouldn't recommend putting it in the dryer though.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 12:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• http://www.ehow.com/how_155861_clean-feather-bed.html
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• We have down jackets that get washed....the link I posted preciously mentions tennis balls in the dryer....this is key. It fluffs the feathers in the dryer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2010