This is about cats?

Has anyone ever have there cat tested for feline leukima and AIDS..If so what where the end results??Ive never really looked into it before but yesterday my BF mom had her cat tested for it and it was postive..So any cats that have came in contact with that cat needs to be tested..Im going to have my cats tested Monday when they gets fixed..So anyone that has had to do this can you please help me and let me know what happens and/or the steps you have to go thru for it..Thanks Everyone for your help

KendallsMommie1

Asked by KendallsMommie1 at 7:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Pets

• They will take some blood and can run the test in house. Do you know if that cat was positive for aids or Leukemia? Cats can only get Aids if they fight a cat with it and the skin is broken. Leukemia is a little easier to get because they can get it from sharing the same food bowls, litter or just from hanging out together. That being said even coming in contact with a positive can does not mean that will get it. Some times you get lucky. If you are going to test the cats now you should also lest in 6 nmonths because sometimes it does not show up right away. It als depends on the age if you test before the cat is between 9 to 12 weeks you can get a false positive. Cats can live pretty normal lives if they have either of these diseases sometimes it does shorten the life span but some cat will live their entire life span with an occational flare up.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• that is scary to think about...especially the thought that your cats could give you aids...kinda far out!!! I don't think we have to worry about it because they stay inside all the time and never get out, unless of course they were born to a cat with aids???? now ya got me thinkin.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I had my cats tested last year, one did fine with the blood draw, they other they had to knock out because he was UNhappy. Both are negative!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 8:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Shay1130 Cats can not give people Aids they can only give it to each other.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• well i didnt know that. what if it was bleeding and you had an open cut or something? Is it a different strand of Aids or something?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• The Aids virus in cats (Also called FIV)is species specific so like i said you can not get it from cats.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Thanks to everyone for you reply..Ill be updating Monday after they get tested
    KendallsMommie1

Answer by KendallsMommie1 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 18, 2010