Disney world Tips?

We are heading to Disney World March 8th. I've never been before. My kids are 4 yrs old an 21 months. Plus I am 22 weeks pregnant! Not the most ideal time to go but this was bought by our MIL and she insisited we go now.

We are staying on property.

Any hints?

We didn't get the meal plans. But our vacay came w/ $1000 worth of DW giftcards that can be used anywhere on property.

I am trying to decide what stroller to take or if I should rent theirs (very expensive!).

Thanks!

bam920

Asked by bam920 at 8:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Travel

• Buy taking your own stroller I think would be less hassle then renting one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I am going with a 5,3 and 9 month old on the 1st, we are taking 2 umbrella strollers,one that reclines for the baby. You can not take the rented strollers out of the parks and you might have a long walk to your room and you don't want to carry a sleeping or cranky child that far! Plus it will make it easier to keep up the kids in the park, my 3 year old is not a big walker so the stroller will be wonderful. Have fun!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• You will have a lot more fun if you leave the kids with Grandma

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Awww, don't leave the kids at Grandma's! They will have fun too! It's true that you'll cover more stuff that interests you without the kids, most of the rides are suitable for both of them. My husband and I took our kids when they were as young as yours. We'll be there on 3/12 as a matter of fact with our 7 and 4 year old.
    Carry snacks and drinks for the kids, that will save some money for you, you can take in a soft sided cooler. Take in your own stroller. First of all it's easier to identify in the stroller parking area, second, it's a great place for your toddler to sleep and also it can hold your cooler and anything you buy. If you have your own car, with your parking pass from the Disney resort you can get free parking at the parks. Take your own car instead of Disney transportation, then you can leave whenever you want. The one and only time we took a Disney bus, we waited for 2 hours AFTER (cont)
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• (cont) the park closed for our turn to catch the bus back to the resort. We didn't get back to the hotel until way after midnight. If you decide to go to Epcot, that is the very best place to meet the characters. The princesses are hidden back in the countries and there are seldom lines to see them. At the Magic Kingdom, the lines are ridiculously long for the characters. When we took our kids to Hollywood Studios when they were young, we didn't find a lot for them to do. There are a couple of kid shows and not a whole lot else. I think we did everything that we could do with them in less than 3 hours, so that wasn't worth the money to me. Animal Kingdom is fun, the Lion King show is an absolute must see!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• We won't have our car. We are flying in and staying on property.

I guess I should have mentioned the MIL is coming with us. And without going into it (it'd be a whole different kind of post!) she is not much help with the children.
    Thanks ladies!

slw123, we'll miss you by a day! Have fun!
    bam920

Answer by bam920 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• No way in hell would I go with two small children like that. It's a huge place and imo it's for older children. Your MIL would have done a better kindness to you by watching the kids (or hiring a sitter) and sending you and dh to time alone before the new one comes. If you must go then take your own stroller. Even in the airport it will be handy. There is SO MUCH walking it's nuts.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• There are plenty of things you can do with younger kids there. Take umbrella strollers. Anything else is not worth the headache. They do allow you to bring food into the park so as much as possible, I'd suggest doing that. You'll go through $1000 in food in the park quickly. There is a wal-mart, a publix, and a super-target all within about 20 minutes of the parks. With the little ones, MGM is really the only one lacking in stuff fit for them. Still fun what with the shops and everything, but focus on the others. Animal Kingdom is usually a big hit and obviously Magic Kingdom has the most toddler-friendly activities. Most of the rides fit for them will be good for you too, but of course, they'll tell you at the park if you're not suited for it. Even if they don't want to go on the ride, the pirates of the carribean, Captain Jack comes out and will make honorary pirates of a handful of the crowd. you get a scroll declaring it.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Epcot has a ton of things your 4-year-old might like and enough things for the 21-month-old to look at but I wouldn't expect it to keep his interest. the Finding Nemo ride is cool though. They'll probably love that. When you do eat in the parks, head for Epcot. It's really fun to go 'around the world' and the staff there is usually really great about little kids. MGM's worth catching at night for the closing show, but since it's kind of the favorite, it's really hard to get in. I worked there for 6 months and only managed to get a seat once.
    Don't skimp on the water, use your money on souvenirs instead of food in the parks, make sure the umbrella strollers recline for naps, and make sure you don't wear yourself out. they do have wheel chairs if you need a rest.
    I'm sure you'll have a blast. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• admckenzie are you nuts her kids are the PERFECT ages. The first time I took mine they were 18 months and 3 years and they LOVED it, esp. Disney. Def. take your own double stroller. You don't have to take it from ride to ride, you gen. park it in one spot in each are but its great for carrying stuff. I'd bring snacks and drinks in. Disney World "seems" huge as a kid but as an adult... I learned its not really that big. Oh and starting from back to front is a good idea. You don't need to see the parades all the time so that's a good time to get into the rides that are always full.
    It will be a blast enjoy.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2010