My daughter is a year old...when do I give her a pillow and blanket?

She is congested and could use a pillow to she breathes easier over night. I have a raised mattress already and and I put a few little blankets under her sheets...when should I hive her a pillow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son was one he had a pillow it didn't hurt for him to have it. He didn't suffocate or anything bad like they say will happen, he just moved so much that he never stayed on it.
    mandicutie98

Answer by mandicutie98 at 8:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My DD is 9 1/2 months old. Though I started out with just a recieving blanket in the crib with her, she's been sleeping with a regular blanket (not too heavy) for a couple months now. I haven't given her a pillow yet, but she sometimes uses her little stuffed bunny as a head rest, in bed. And if she naps with me, we share a pillow. I think if you're going to give your DD a pillow, the key is to give one that's not huge and fluffy, Just a firm little pillow, to help her breathe. I know many would disagree, but it should be just fine. As modern parents, we have to be careful not to be freakishly overprotective. There are so many things that we "aren't supposed to do" with/for our kids now. I think it's best to use your own best judgement.
    I hope your little one feels better soon! Good luck, mama!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 8:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I give my 13 month old a pillow for naps sometimes but not for bedtime. The reason being that he likes to sleep on his tummy at night and will bury his face in the pillow if he has it. As for blankets, I've used a knitted or crocheted blanket (lots of holes) on his lower body for awhile now. If you have central heat and her room stays a pretty constant temp then she probably doesn't need a blanket, it might even interfere with her sleeping since it is something she's not used to. As for the pillow, I had a friend suggest putting one under the crib sheet if I was worried about mine getting under it or something. If you go that route either try to find a new one that isn't very thick/fluffy or get a plastic pillow cover for an old one that you already have (old pillows tend to have a lot of allergens in them and if she's already congested it could make things worse) Hope she feels better soon.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• my kids ha a blanket at birth and a pillow at 4 mts.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Kids don't need pillows. Neither do adults either for that matter, but we're accustomed to having them. Most pillows put your body out of alignment with your head and can cause back/neck problems. My kids didn't have a pillow until they switched from crib to bed. I cover my 15 month old with a thin blanket at night, which is all he needs since we keep the heat on and he sleeps in tshirts and footed sleepers, but he kicks it off anyway so it doesn't do much good.

Answer by missanc at 11:45 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• When our boys were congested, we used a crib wedge. It is basically just a foam wedge that you put under the crib sheet to elevated the head. I don't know if it helped much though. We gave our boys pillows at 18 months, when they transitioned to a toddler bed.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Our pediatrician told us we could us a blanket at 1 yr and pillow at 2 yrs. At almost 3, my son still has no interest in a pillow.. As a previous poster mentioned, there's really no need for a pillow unless your child likes it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My son hates to sleep on pillows but I cover him with a blanket every night. I find it scrunched in a corner every morning.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• my dd doesnt have a pillow yet, (im also postitive even if i gave her one it wouldnt be used) lol. but she has had blankets since a maybe 2 mnths...? i think. and those i always find balled up in a corner, or under her. lol
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 10:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2010