should i let my parents borrow money?

my husband has been out of work for two months and we recently did our taxes we paid most of in bills and the leftover we need to live off of till either of us find a job. now my mom called and said " do you know anyone who can let us borrow money? iwonder who could? hey can you do it?" after i got done telling her our family is on a very small budget due to no job. should we lend them the money. she said she doesnt know when they will pay back. but they will.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• no, i wouldnt. just tell them thst since neither of you are working, you dont have any extra money to spare. you wish you could, but maybe once you or your SO can get a job you can, but sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• No do not lend them the money. Explane why you will not.

Answer by louise2 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I also wouldn't. YOU need that money to live on and while it sounds like your mom could use that money you have to take care of yourself. Tell her sorry but money is tight at your house.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• nope..i dont know if she really NEEDS it or not but the fact is that she knows you have it and thats the only reason she is asking. She should feel bad asking someone who has lost their job. Do not give it to her
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Under your current circumstances, no, I wouldn't. You need that money to live on, and she specifically told you she didn't know when they would be able to pay you back. I have loaned my parents money before, but only when I could afford it and also b/c my mom tells me when I can expect to be paid back, and she works with me if she can't pay it back then. If you had the money to spare, that would be one thing. But you need to put your immediate family first, and that is you, your hubby and your kids.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• You will see that money again. Never mix money with family or friends in the relationship unless they are very honest and tust worthy.  Direct to the a bank loan or they can pawn some jewelry. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i wouldnt lend them the money. you need it for your family
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 10:11 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• if you REALLY need the money for yourself then dont. if your heart melts and you feel like beeing kind...dont expect the money back! they dont know when they are gonna pay it back, take that as an, "i might not pay back til next year". and that is the shurest way to have family problems.
    prinzesa_edith

Answer by prinzesa_edith at 10:19 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• What do your parents need the money for? There are very few reasons I can think of that would be good enough to say yes to this request. Your family is in no position to be helping anyone else out financialy right now. Knowing this, I am really surprised your own mother would ask for this kind of a favor unless it is a really desperate situation for them. If they needed the money for medical treatment or groceries I'd have a hard time saying no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I would kindly say I'm sorry mom but right now neither me or my husband have a job and the extra money has to stretch to provide for us till one of us finds work and express to her most of the money went to pay bills what's left is all you have until a job is located.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2010