My neighbors have 4-5 cats..

They started out with 2 now they are up to 5 ..They keep reproducing and keeping kittens...They are always going to the bathroom in my yard , climbing on my fence, spraying on my house..I love animals but I am sick of this..Should I call the SPCA?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Pets

• I had this same problem. I am a cat lover, but after awhile, it becomes too much to handle with cat poo in the yard, the veggies being nawed on and the dead birds. My other neighbor and I coordinated with each other to caputre the cats. He went to the humane society to borrow a cat trap. We caught the kittens and took them in. When they are small, they can be rehabilitated and adopted. The older the cat is and the more ferile it is, the more likely that they will put the animal to sleep. We decided that we would take the older cats we caught to a farm where they could live in a barn. The babies went to the animal shelter.

sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 6:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• yes
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Yes, actually, call Animal Control, ASPCA probably cant or wont do much.
    dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• No. Talk to your neighbor first - explain what their cats are doing and don't be afraid to tell them that it upsets you. There are products available to deter cats from eliminating and spraying in certain places, suggest that your neighbor invest in a few of these and use them around your house and yard. Suggest that they maybe try converting them to indoor cats. Just go about it in a mature manner so you don't start a feud :)
    For a lot of people, their pets are family members, not animals. Calling the SPCA without trying to solve the issue first just isn't fair - it could cause a lot more hurt and trouble than necessary.
    If the neighbors don't seem to care about your concern, or effort is made but change doesn't happen, then it's time to call someone.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 1:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I just noticed the answer above mine. Please don't steal their cats, that is just cruel.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 1:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Honestly, outdoor cats are NOT a part of anyones family. They are just cats that live outside. No one should allow them to come and go as they please. Anyone with a cat that roams doesn't have a cat. They may leave food out for it but that cat is NOT their pet nor is it a part of their family. If it were it would be inside 24/7 and fixed. if there are feral cats, they should be given a chance at having a life AS a pet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• yes! I have 3 but we take care of ours and no one ever complains! your neighbors are just jerks!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• anon 3:50 .. well I guess I only have 1 cat than. .. weirdo!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 7:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• If 2 are outside and never come in and only 1 lives in your home then yes, you only have 1 cat. The other 2 are just feral cats you feed and let fend for themselves. Don't be sad when a wild animal or a car kills them because you put them in that situation.
    Anonymous

• If you don't have pets that go out into your yard you might try getting a few of those deer deterants that work off a motion scensor and spray water. I would place them in differant places around the yard where you have seen these cats hang out. Those cats would move out of the way pretty quickly and would learn to stay away. I have 6 cats myself and all but one go outside. They are spayed and neutered though and i am pretty open with my neighbors and have told them if they are a problem at all to tell us. Instead of going to the SPCA or animal control talk to them about the cats, tell them your concerns. If you get others involved (animal control) it could get nasty.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2010