• In the Spotlight:

Do you think two weeks is a long time to hear back from a prospective employer or do you think it's time to assume I didn't get the job?

I sent a thank you note after the interview. I left a voice mail yesterday with the director who interviewed me just to follow up, but she never called me back. I am thinking it looks grim, but they were sooo positive during the interview. They said it looked like a perfect match, that it seemed like fate, and that I'd be hearing from them soon. Now it's two weeks later and they haven't even checked my references. Should I give up hoping at this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• You have done everything right so far. I don' t think that you should give up, but you should keep looking and going to interviews. I had the same thing happen to me and they called me a month later to offer me the job. It turned out it was between me and another girl and the two owners both wanted one of us.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Don't give up hope but I wouldn't stop applying for other jobs just in case. Some companies have policies that require them to accept applications for a certain period of time before they make a decision.
    homejobsformom

Answer by homejobsformom at 12:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• You've done everything right! Don't beat yourself up about it. But if you are interested in making some money and get a chance to stay at home. Let me know. I have two babies and couldn't afford day care so I did the next best thing. I started working at home and I still have time to be with my kids. email me if interested. libey@bellsouth.net. Its not one that will give you 1,000 a week but it makes a good paycheck. You can do it part time. As little as 5-7 hours a week.
    daniellibey

Answer by daniellibey at 1:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Two weeks in corporate time is like three minutes in real time.

Send an email to the hiring manager; reaffirm your interest in the position; mention a skill or experience that you did not mention in the interview, that applies to the position, to let the hiring manager know that you have been thinking about the position; send the hiring manager a link to an article that you know she/he will find interesting.

Then move along with your job search.

Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2010