Do you think two weeks is a long time to hear back from a prospective employer or do you think it's time to assume I didn't get the job? (PIOG)

I sent a thank you note after the interview. I left a voice mail yesterday with the director who interviewed me just to follow up, but she never called me back. I am thinking it looks grim, but they were sooo positive during the interview. They said it looked like a perfect match, that it seemed like fate, and that I'd be hearing from them soon. Now it's two weeks later and they haven't even checked my references. Should I give up hoping at this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• give it another 2 weeks before you lose hope
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:05 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I heard from places a few MONTHS after applying. One bank called me with a job offer 10 months after I applied.LOL. I was already working,of course.
    Don't give up hope!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think, given the way there's so many people applying for each and every job, you should have heard from them by now. But...that doesn't mean you should just give up. Give them another call, maybe tomorrow. Enthusiasm can go a long way, not only toward the job you applied for, but also for sticking in their memory if another position opens up. They could end up with another open position and if you really make an impression, they might think, "hey, you know, so and so would be a perfect fit for this. I wonder if she's still available."
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Call every other day. I thought I didn't have several jobs I interviewed for after weeks of not hearing anything and every time I would call, for some reason or another the person I needed to talk to was never available so I left messages every other day till they called me back, probably so I'd quit calling them. Sometimes I think I got some of those jobs just to shut me up lol
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I had an employer tell me when the new job started so if they did not call back or e mail you would know automatically if you got the job or not. GL!
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Thanks everyone, really. I guess it did take them a long time between when I sent in my resume/application and when they finally called to schedule an interview (a few weeks, maybe even a month or so) and they are hiring a whole new team for a new software project so maybe they're just also interviewing for the rest of the team? I think they said they wanted everyone to start around the same time.

Should I call or email HR and ask if the position is filled?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I'm gonna be the buzzkill here. I'm not sure where you applying at, but as a manager that does hiring, I'd have to say no, you probably didn't. I'd be looking elsewhere. That's a long time to not get any sort of response at all. It sounds like they are avoiding you. If it doesn't happen, then it wasn't supposed to and you ddin't belong there. Something will pan out.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2010