6 year old's permanent teeth not coming in

My 6 year old daughter lost her 2 top front teeth back in early-mid December. There is still no sign at all of any new ones emerging. She is not due for her regular dental check up for a couple of more months. Is this something I need to be worried about? Do I need to go ahead and take her to the dentist to see about this or is it normal for teeth to sometimes take this long to start coming in? My older daughter's teeth always seem to start coming in within a couple of weeks after losing the baby ones.

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 9:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some kids jump the gun in wiggling and pulling out baby teeth. If she lost the babies, it's because there were permenant ones pushing them out. Don't worry, they will show up..sometimes it takes FOREVER!!!!! My son is almost 14 and still losing and getting teeth. LOL His canines are taking their sweet time coming back in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:44 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• For some children the permanent teeth take time to come in, with others they come in fast. never compare what one child body does with the other, remember MOM everyone's different. If it is driving you crazy give a call to your daughter's dentist. I wouldn't worry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My top front teeth took forever to come in when I was a kid. It seems like I was without them forever! I wouldn't worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• If the permanent tooth is not RIGHT there when the baby tooth falls out, it grows a really thick layer of gums over the spot. it just takes longer for the permanent tooth to push through is all, no reason to worry! The baby tooth would not come out if the permanent tooth didnt push it out and disolve the root away.....There are teeth under there, I promise =)

The only thing the dentist would do is take an x-ray and show you how close the teeth are.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:29 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Thanks everyone. It sounds like there's no reason for me to be concerned. If they're still not in by the time she goes for her checkup, I will just ask the dentist then. On the upside, she does like absolutely adorable with them missing :)
    Thanks again!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Thank you vicesix, I was just about to post the same question. Mine lost his top tooth months ago and others are loose but no new teeth are showing.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2010