My daughter is almost 22 months old, she attends a daycare/ nursery school 3 times a week for 5 hrs a day. They tell me she acts great there. at home she is grumpy, fussy & wants me to hold her on a constant. I am 26 weeks pregnant so this needs to change soon. We are considering on top of making things at home a little more strict, sending her to daycare 5 days instead of 3, is this a good idea? any other suggestions welcome!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think she may be clingy at home because she is in daycare. The reason she is so well behaved there is probably because she is constantly being entertained, either by activities or by the other children. Children at her age want their mommies most of the time. I keep my grandson who is 20 months old and he is perfectly content to be at my house, but he often goes to the door and says "Mommy". I really think you would help your situation by doing less daycare and not more. She is at the age where she needs to have specific boundaries and she needs to have those enforced by you. I think that if you are firm with her at home and make the structure more defined there, by the time the new baby comes, she will be doing much better. If you send her away more, her sense of security is going to be greatly affected and it will be even more exaggerated when the new baby arrives.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Well all you can do is bide your time. When you get home, spend time with her. Cuddle with her, read her a book and whatnot. If her behavior is undesireable then you need to correct it. But what you are describing is common. Nobody ever believed that our pretty little princess was spawn of SATAN lol. She was a perfect angle every where she went, and demon at home lol. Which is the way it should be really.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• She is just miss you and wanting to be with you when you are home. Yes all kids are going to act better anywhere then home. I think her spending more time with you is best. But it is your decision and not mine. So you do what you feel is best for you and your family.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I agree with NannyB. She is likely clingy at home because she misses you when you are apart and because she knows there is something else going on (baby coming) As your time gets less and less she will want you more and more. This will be especially true once the new baby arrives and adding MORE time that she is away will likely make it worse. Just my 2 cents.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i wouldn't send her to daycare more unless it was necessary. my son is often grumpiest with me at home, because that's in the evening after he's had a long exciting busy day at day care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• She is probably craving your attention.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My son is actually the same way (20 months) He goes to daycare almost 5 days a week and comes home miserable and clingy and cranky but I found out that the reason behind this is that he doesn't take naps at daycare! When I'm home with him I can get him to take AT LEAST one nap (for at least 2 hours) and over there he doesn't nap AT all so when he gets home he's cranky and exhausted. Check into her napping patterns.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Anon 10:32---DUH!! Obviously she wouldn't be sending her to daycare if it wasn't necessary!
    AidensMommy608

• AidensMommy ..... You would be sooooo surprised how wrong you are!

Unfortunately, many moms think it is actually GOOD for their child! I run a daycare, and even though this is how I get paid, I still think home is the best place for a child. LOTS of moms think otherwise.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2010