Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm on social security so I can't file taxes but my exhusband (my son's father) worked a week last year so he is filing and claiming our son.

He is soooo behind on child support it's not funny. I have yet to see a dime and diapers are expensive!! So my question is if he files can child support put a lien on his refund? Will they just take it all?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • YES!!!!! Let him file and get all the refund money he can get bc it all goes to you!

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:18 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

  • Make sure this is true, you can call the IRS and ask the question.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

  • Thats not always the case. If the DA hasn't suspended his license or garnished his wages regualarly to enforce support then what would make you think they'd take his tax return? And if there is a child support order because you have custody how can he claim him as a dependent when he is not the caregiver? Nothing is going to happen to him unless the DA is already laying in consequences like bank levys and stuff like that. Been there done that.

    Answer by Steff107 at 10:25 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

  • In NC, if he was behind in the previous October then they go ahead and put in the paperwork to take his tax return. Only if Child Support Enforcement has the case, though. Yes - they will take the whole thing. My ex got back almost 8K last year and I got every penny!

    Answer by missanc at 10:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

  • IF there is a standing child support order - not just an agreement - they will take his tax $ and give it to you

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

  • YES they will like the PP said, as long as it's a court ordered child support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

  • I would call the IRS and explain the situation. Alert the offices where he's supposed to pay the support too. They may have some advice for you.

    Answer by homejobsformom at 12:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.