Was I wrong to do this? I almost got beat up!

I have lived in the same neighborhood for 30 years. During this time span the atmosphere and the quality of people have steadily declined.

Yesterday I got off work at about 6 and I stopped at a corner liquor/convenience store that I usually never stop at. I wanted to grab a half gallon of milk and the grocery store parking lot was packed.

When I got out of the car, a little boy around 7 years old was stationed at the door. He asked me for some money as I went in. I didn't give him any money but when I went in I told the cashier that there was a little boy outside begging for money. ALL FOUR of the people in line started cursing me, telling me I was a bitch to tell on the kid while the cashier went out and told the kid to leave. At first I defended myself. I said this is a CHILD at a LIQUOR store BEGGING on a DANGEROUS street. Then I decided it would be smarter to just leave.

Was I wrong or were they insane?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 11:01 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think you did the right thing and that the other people were idiots.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I don't know. I probably wouldn't have given him money but I wouldn't have told on him either. I usually give beggars food. Crackers, a sandwich...something like that. There would have been things in the convenient store that I could have bought and given to him. So, I would say that whether or not you were wrong depends on why you told on him. If you were really concerned, then no you weren't wrong. If you were just annoyed that he had asked you for money and you wanted him to go away, then yes, you were wrong.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 11:05 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Wow, those people were retarded. Maybe it's time to sell the house, eh?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It sounds like you did the right thing to me. Personally, I would never step foot in a liquor store because of the type of people that are attracted to such places. Namely, drunks and idiots.
    (I'm not saying they are all like that, just that liquor stores do attract such individuals.)
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 11:07 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It's a catch 22 for you. If you didn't say anything and he got hurt then you where wrong. Instead you choose an action and you got hurt in the process.

I know where he was begging at was not the best BUT he was near a business that he probably thought would help protect him if something went wrong. As far as the neighborhood being bad chances are he lived in it and wouldn't have come to any harm. As bad as a neighborhood can be they tend to protect their own much as a neighborhood that is nicer tends to chase away those kids that look like trouble.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think I wouldn't have said anything inside, but would have called the police to intervene. A seven year old? Begging? Alone? In a dangerous neighborhood? Something ain't right at home.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 11:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• the kid was probably forced by an adult to go and beg so they could go in and buy their liquor...the kid probably didnt need money. I think you did right. I wouldve called the cops
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• No, I wasn't annoyed at the kid, I was more surprised than anything to see a kid at a liquor store. And it's a dangerous spot, I usually avoid it because numerous people have been killed there over the years.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think you are right...I dont just hand out money to anyone, not even little kids. Its a liquor store, no kid should be hanging around a liquor store.
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think you did the right thing.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2010