Who Cares? I do.

So this girl today (yes girl because she is acting like a high schooler) Told me that "At least I got my dipolma and didn't drop out of HS. Yes I got my GED. And yes I got a FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIP TO THE COLLEGE. SHE DIDN'T. I also ran away and got married. But I WANT TO KNOW WHY "US" PEOPLE WHO GET OUR GED's GET DISCRIMINATED???? IT DOESNT MAKE US ANY LESS OF A PERSON AS tHE ONES WHO GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL.. So why do we get teased and treated like trash???? We are not STUPID, I'm quite good in school, I just figured it'd make my married life easier.

bmdred

Asked by bmdred at 11:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• she just must be jealous of you. ppl that make fun of other ppl are just insecure about themselves. So when your teased just think how pathetic they are..well i'm sure you already think that, lol. is she married? Maybe shes jealous over the fact that your married. Don't worry about it, you are not any less of a person bc you have a GED. My brother dropped outta high school when he was 16 and got his GED at 17 years old, he is one of the smartest ppl I know! That was about 10 years ago though. But still, there is nothing wrong with getting a GED. You can get into college with a GED right? So then its the exact same thing as a high school diploma. what ppl don't understand is not everyone has the chance to finish high school and walk with their class. Not everyone has a supportive family. some ppl have really unstable lives. So F*ck the ppl that say that crap, they are lame :) lol
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 11:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Personally I think getting a GED is great. It shows that you had the guts to go it on your own without the government telling your parents you had to go. Don't let others bring you down. If you have a full ride then you have the brains. Use them and make a great life for your family.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I don't know why people who get GED's get such a bad rap...it's sheer ignorance! I got mine and have never told a soul because of the ridiculous perception people have..and think about it, we were FORCED to go to HS...getting a GED was a conscious decision on our part...it took motivation...discipline...to all those who snub us, I say WHATEVER~! I didn't graduate HS because of this group of bullies that were always after me, I kept skipping gym class because I was afraid of them, so I ended up a credit short. I'm not stupid by any stretch of the imagination! Good for you for going on and getting yourself a full ride scholarship!!! You ROCK MAMA!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I would just ignore the comment. You know what you have accomplished and where your life is headed and that's the important thing. I had four kids, the oldest and youngest graduated high school and received their diploma. The two middle kids both got their GED because that is what worked best for them. They also received diplomas. I put up all four diplomas proudly and never differentiate between them. Myself, back in 1978 I took the Calif High School Proficiency Exam and graduated at the end of my junior year. No, it wasn't a regular HS diploma, but by passing that test they were telling me I had learned everything required in high school, so what's the difference?? You stand tall and carry on.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 11:45 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i got my GED and i have never been teased or discriminated on for it. i chose to do that because i did not like the HS atmosphere and was having home family problems. this girl is just trying to get to you. ignore her bitch ass.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:50 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• IDK. In our state a GED is listed as a Diploma so no one knows the difference by looking at it. Both are certificates saying the person met the requirements for completing high school studies. I'd ignore her.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I know. and my family doesnt love me any less or my best friends. I dont even care if people know i got my GED. I walked with the other people at the college when i got mine. Im Pretty DARN PROUD OF IT!
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 12:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Thanks for all of your wonderful answers. That just gave me a boost of strength to go on for the rest of my life
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 12:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• dont ask my dad because as long as you know how to work thats all that matters,he would be so mad if he heard what they told you.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2010