Does this sound over-protective to you?

My mother is way too overbearing with my 11 year old sister. She won't allow the following: Picking out her own clothes, spending the night with friends, going on school field trips, she can't run into the dollar store to buy something on her own even if my mom is out in the car waiting. She can't walk around the block and it's a small block. She can't go down the big curly slide at the park (I let me 4 and 5 year olds go down it). She isn't allowed to eat hard candy or use a fork. She had to use a sippy cup until she was 9 because my mom didn't want her to spill her drinks. She can't be a bus rider because she's not allowed to wait at the bus stop. She can't play outside in her backyard without mom watching her. She isn't allowed to brush her own hair because mom said "she can't do it right". Same with hair washing. My mom wants us to hold her hand when crossing the street or shopping. Does this sound crazy or obsessed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• holy crap! my 2 year old uses a fork!

your mom sounds like Freddy's mom on iCarley LOL

yes, way to overbearing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Is there something "wrong" with your sis?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• omg if I was this girl I'd run away screaming! that's way too controlling and your sister is going to wind up resenting her when she can't learn to be independent or try new things cuz mommy never let her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Either your mom knows something you don't or she is neurotic. Maybe she isn't telling you something about your sister? Or something scared her really badly. She sounds manic to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 18, 2010

• was she this way when she raised you?? theres got to be some sort of reason why shes treating your sis like this..thats just wrong!! how is she supposed to become independant if she cant do ANYTHING on her own? i feel so sorry for her!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• She doesn't want her daughters to grow up. She said the world is dangerous to girls. She let our brothers do whatever they wanted because "they can protect themselves" and us girls were all raised this way. And no, there's nothing wrong with my little sister. My mom is just crazy and said that this is how "good parents" raise their daughters...
    Anonymous

• That is very very disturbing. My kids have been using forks and knives since they were 4-5 years old ( with supervision) and they've been sliding down big slides and sled riding down huge snow hills for years. Your poor sister.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I'll be the first to call bs on this story!
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Ok, call bs. But I'm not lying. My mom is seriously that crazy. I could add more, but you wouldn't believe me. My mom said my older sister couldn't go to the U of I because colleges get bombed. My sister is 26 though so that didn't fly. My mom wouldn't let me go on a school trip to Chicago to an art museum. I was 15. My mom let our brothers go on their 8th grade trip to 6 Flags, but not me or my older sister because "we're girls". My mom tried to tell me that I couldn't go into the deep end in the pool at the hotel we were staying at once. Again, didn't fly because I'm 21. My mom told me I'm a bad mother because I let my 5 year old ride the school bus and wait at the bus stop. My mom gets mad because I let my 2 year old use a fork. My mom gets mad because I don't make my kids share a room with me, "it's dangerous to leave them in their own rooms at night." My mom is, in every sense of the word, nuts.
    Anonymous

• Your mom is doing nothing, but hindering your sister's development and probably is going to cause her to have her own neuroses when she grows up.

Your mother sounds beyond obsessed. She needs to seek counseling.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2010