Sewing Machine Question

I just bought a sewing machine. I'm a TOTAL beginner so I have nothing. What else do I need to buy? Thanks!

Kaitlyn0816

Asked by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Find bobbins of the correct size. You will need thread to match whatever material you are looking for. And any patterns you want to try out. There are a lot of beginners patterns available. You could also make a cover for your sewing machine to keep the dust out.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I would buy some extra metal bobbies, extra needles for your machine.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 12:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• A really good pair of scissors!! I love my Gingher scissors, but make sure whatever you get is good quality. Cheap scissors make cutting fabric difficult. And, don't use your fabric scissors for cutting anything but fabric, or they'll become dull & may get nicks in them.

I also recommend a great book called Fabric Savvy, by Sandra Betzina. It's like an encyclopedia for sewers. You look up the type of fabric you're using, and it tells you what kind of needle you need (yes, there are different needles for different types of fabrics) what presser foot to use, what seam finish, all kinds of valuable information that will improve the quality of your projects.

What else you need depends on what kind of sewing you want to do, quilting, garments, craft sewing. Go to the library & check out a variety of books. You'll learn a lot. Look on your pbs channel for these shows: Nancy's Notions, Martha's Sewing Room, Quilt in a Day, have fun
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• A seam ripping tool. You will need that to fix mistakes. A tape measure for doing hems. Maybe a needle threader if you aren't good at threading the needle.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• congratulationsOn your new sewing machine. I don't know much about what to have on a new sewing machine but the basics this question you asked is a very good one atleast for me it is bc I have been wanting a sewing machine for the longest to but havent found one that I really would like..first of all I don't need all that fancy stitching atleast not now I want to learn how to sew first and go from there. Right now I am looking at a really simple one and cheap on the price..still shopping around...Have Fun!

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2010