Can the school charge my Pell Grant without my permission?

They added a class without me knowing (something their requiring me to take) and I got a letter in the mail saying it was covered by me Pell. My refund was less than I expected and was just wondering. I can't go to this class without taking my son and I'm going to tell them that when I talk to them next Tuesday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I should add that when I registered the first time I had to sign something for my Pell.

OP
    Anonymous

• Your pell is there to cover classes, and whatever is left over goes to you. It sounds like you should have registered for this class, and when you didn't, they did it for you. If its required, you need to take it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It was their fault they didn't catch that I had to take this class at registration. I had no idea they had this requirement for certain people and they didn't do it at registration.

That wasn't even the question.

Op
    Anonymous

• They can take the money from the Pell to cover their costs, yes. Like the pp said, you would then get whatever is left over. The question is, why would they register you for a class that you didn't sign up for even if it is required. They don't know what else you have going on in that time period. It sounds suspicious to me, is your school accredited?
    Anonymous

• It is.It's a five week course once a week so it's not that bad. But it's at six o clock at night and I dont' have a sitter for that time (no one at all, his daycare closes at six). That's why I said I'll have to take him. I'm going to see if they can work it into my Thursday schedule because I made it clear that I only want classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays since the school is a half hour from where I live. The class is scheduled for Wednesday.
    Anonymous

• It's THEIR fault?? Honey, if you're in college, it's your responsibility to make sure you take the right classes to finish your program. If you can't take this class now, drop it and take it later. Hopefully, you'll still have your Pell Grant.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2010