Do you have moments like this? Kids grow up fast...

My daughter (will be 3 in May) has been going through such a rough spell with night waking. Well, we've worked so hard with her to try to get her to manage her night waking so she can sleep better. Lately she's been using potty as an excuse to get out of bed 8 million times, but she never actually goes (she's been day trained for a year but not night). Well, last night at 10:50 pm, my husband and I had just turned out our lights, and we hear the usual: "Ahh,. Mommy!!! (But then she's quiet for a minute.) "Can I go to the potty?" My husband reminds her she can go herself without talking to us. We hear her shuffle down the hall, pee, flush, shuffle back, shut her door, say goodnight to her animals, and she's back to sleep till 7! Do you ever have these moments where you see your child succeed at somethings he's been working on, and think for a second, "No!!! she can't be growing up this fast!" As much as we hoped for this..

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 12:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ... as soon as it happens, you think, "Oh no, she did that all by herself! She's growing up TOO fast!" If this lasts, we certainly won't miss the disturbances, but still... ah, parenting is so bittersweet!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• All the time.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• and it doesn't stop there either. My DD will be 21 in April, lives on the other side of the country and I haven't seen her since she was 17. This last semester at college she made the decision to switch her major from art history to respitory therapist. When I asked her why, since the first had been a dream for so long, she said...it was a matter of ecomonics. Which career was going to bring her a better income. I also think an accident her stepbrother had a few years ago that has left him with quite a few disabilities had a lot to do with the change.
    I'm so proud of her sometimes I can barely stand it.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Tuesday I picked my almost 2-1/2 year old up from daycare and we went out to lunch and we were coloring the alphabet and I started singing the song and ..... he KNEW IT?!~ I had instant tears. he knows the whole alphabet.. I am in awe of this child.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• We're potty training right now and he'd been having trouble peeing because he's not comfortable standing to pee yet but when he sits, it all flies out of the potty. My response was to buy more carpet cleaner and prepare for this to take forever. His response was to sit on the potty backward because at that angle everything goes where it should. He then told me he'd figured it out (not in so many words) and asked for a cookie for himself and his imaginary friend, Eddy. Rather than eating both cookies himself, he told me Eddy didn't want it and asked if I did. I thought I had a year or two before I was feeding imaginary friends and thought for sure it'd take longer than a week to potty train, but he just took the reigns and shocked everyone with how quickly he figured it out.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 2:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2010