Should my 8 month old be sleeping through the night already?

She turned 8 months on the 16th.
She wakes up every 2-3 hours to eat.
Should she be sleeping through the night now?
Is there anything I can do to help her sleep longer?

CamiiiCompasion

Asked by CamiiiCompasion at 12:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is totally normal for an 8 month old to not be sleeping through the night. My baby will be 8 months on Sat. and still nurses at least 3 times during the night. Some babies do it younger, and some will suggest "sleep training" which for most people involves leaving baby to cry themselves to sleep.
    I say hang in there and it will happen eventually!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My son is 4 and STILL doesnt sleep through the night...if ur 8mth old does ur very lucky!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My son is 18 months and occasionally he will still wake in the middle of the night and need a cuppy. Babies go through growth spurts and these spurts can effect their sleep. Don't worry they will slow down after your LO turns one and you all will get more sleep. GL!
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 12:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• The only thing you can do is encourage more feeds during the day if she seems distracted and too busy to eat much. That might eliminate one of the night feeds.

Other than that she's pretty normal. When she's ready to sleep more than 5 hours she'll do it on her own. Five hours is considered a sleep through. Teething, new milestones, and growth spurts are going to change sleep patterns and lengths a lot in the first year especially.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• my son is 8 months old and hes been sleeping through the night since he was 4 months. he ocassionally wakes up, but not for a bottle. he wakes up bc his teeth hurt, or his tummy hurts and i just have to rock him a little but this doesnt happen every night. since he was born, i give him a warm bath every night with johnson & johnsons bedtime help baby sleep better bath soap, and then a lotion massage with the same kind of lotion, and a warm bottle. i do that around 9-10. i feed him his fruit and cereal dinner around 7:30 so thats he nice and full for the night. and i let him play alot in his jumper and on the floor so that he tires himself out!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• She sleeps like 6pm-11pm. then every 2 hours after that usually. i would go to bed early if i could fall asleep that early, i've tried and it doesn't work.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 12:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• every child is different my dd was sleeping thru the nite at 2 mts. ds was 9 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Does she go to bed that early on her own, or do you just put her down then?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My son is 8 months old and he's been sleeping through the night since he was about 5 months old.....but every child is different.
    Anonymous

• She gets cranky around 6-6:30 sometimes she goes 7:00-7:30
    but we put her in her crib and she falls right asleep
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 3:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010