when to switch from bottle to sippy cup?

des11987

Asked by des11987 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I breastfed so we didn't use very many bottles. I introduced my son to sippy around 5-6 months with a couple ounces of water in it. It's safe because they don't get very much at first. I think kids should be off of bottles by age 1, but that's just me. But definitely introduce a sippy early so they have time to get used to it before you plan to switch. I found the ones with the soft spouts easier to "train" them with a sippy and then we switched to the hard tops when they turned 13-15 months.

Answer by missanc at 12:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I switch my son from the bottle to sippy when he turn one.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think I tried it around 5 or 6 months old...whenever i thought he could control it and try it. He went full sippy at 11 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Start offering it to them when they are able to sit up and drink from the bottle themselves. Don't buy too many of one kind until you find one they like.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• When their teeth cut through the nipples on the bottles, it's time to switch.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My daughter's Dr told us she wanted her off the bottle by age 1. She is now almost 11 months old and completely bottle-free. She has been for about 3-4 weeks.
    Daphnee925

Answer by Daphnee925 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2010