What did you give up for Lent?

I'm not Catholic, but I find it pleasing to give up things that are gulity pleasures of mine. I can never follow through with New year resolutions, but Lent I always do great with. So this year I have given up: pop candy and half the sugar I use in my coffee. What about you???

Fordmomma

Asked by Fordmomma at 12:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I gave up Lent for Lent
    Anonymous

• Why did you even post then???
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 1:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• does cleaning my house count??? We are giveing up fast food.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 1:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• What is Lent?
    Anonymous

• The Lenten season in Christianity is the 40 days (excluding Sundays) leading up to the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus (Easter). In honor of the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus offered us, we Christians, typically offer a token sacrifice back to him. It can be anything, really, but usually our sacrifice is giving up something that we enjoy in order that we might suffer just a bit, in order to understand, in our own way, what it means to sacrifice for someone else.

haha I just stole this out of someones journal lol
    Anonymous

• I am giving up sweets, and I'm adding more fruits and vegetables to my diet.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Oh, ok then. So is it a certain branch of Christianity or religion that does this? I ask because I am Christian. I grew up in 3 different churches (Presbyterian, Baptist, and Assembly of God) but have never heard of this before.
    Anonymous

• Well yes its a Catholic thing but in the end we are all Christians who believe in Jesus. While I'm not Catholic I do like to take part in Lent and I also like the reason behind giving things up. Thanks PP for that post explaining Lent.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 3:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i'm giving up chocolates and candy....... usually i fast but i can't this year bc i'm nursing
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I did not give up a guilty pleasure, but I did give up something. I am predominately right-handed, and one of my New Year's resolutions is to become better left-handed, so I gave up my right hand for Lent (except for typing and legal signatures). :)
    jean_marie1987

Answer by jean_marie1987 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010