constipation

My 5 month old bowels are on the hard side, is Karo Syrup safe to give to him?

latinamom94

Asked by latinamom94 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• By hard, what do you mean? If they come out in pellets, then he is constipated and not getting enough fluid. I used Karo syrup for one of my kids a few times. Some doctors think it is great and others think it is dangerous. It is really up to you!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• yup. Thats what I used too.
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 1:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I did it but now I wouldn't because I found a healthier option. Probiotics. It's a powder that you put in their formula or breastmilk once a day. You can get it at Whole Foods.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! A resounding NO!!!

Karo Syrup can cause botulism in infants and can be deadly. Check out Karo website they say NO!!

If you are feeding solids, Gerber has stage 1 prunes. You could also water down the apple / prune juice Gerber sells as well.

Anonymous

• No, it is not. Their website says NOT to give it to infants. How hard are we talking? Can you sort of describe the consistancy? Can you smush them easily? (gross I know) Is he eating solids? Breast or formula? This might be normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• If you are feeding solids, Gerber has stage 1 prunes. You could also water down the apple / prune juice Gerber sells as well.

Ditto.
    Anonymous

• yep...go with the prunes or a small bottle of 1/2 prune juice 1/2 water...works every time
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2010