What are good questions to ask when talking to someone online?

I'm on a dating site and have gotten messages from guys and my mind goes blank when i have to think of stuff to ask. What are some good questions to ask someone over the internet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• what is ur name?
    how old are you?
    what are your hobbies?
    what do you do for fun?
    What kind of work do they do?
    Do they have their own place?
    do they have a car?
    are they financially able to take care of themselves? just a few lol.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• also ask them their most missed childhood memories....you can tell alot about a person that way....
    Anonymous

• are you rich? so u can spoil me
    NewForMe

Answer by NewForMe at 1:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• What's your full name? Do you have any alias's you go by? Then go do a background check on them to make sure they are even worth the energy you may spend coming up with good questions...
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 1:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i agree with chaoticsoul i would also get details to look them up in the system... u never know :p
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• When they last had a serious relationship, what kind of relationship are they looking for, what kind of work do they do, hobbies and interests, do they have kids, have they ever been married and if so, why they got divorced. Sometimes, though, you gotta remember that if the conversation doesn't flow, it might just be b/c there's not enough in common to make it work. I used online dating (that's how I met my SO), and I frequently found that conversations lagged b/c I or the guy couldn't find things to talk about. Then, I started talking to SO and it just flowed like water. We almost couldn't STOP talking. lol Some guys (and girls, too) will just respond to your ad b/c they find you physically attractive, but you don't really have anything else in common. So, if you really can't think of what to talk about, it might not be that you can't come up with anything, it might just be lack of common ground. You'll find someone. :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It sounds like you are asking for advice on what to communicate about in the early stages of the connection - like through email. When I was doing the online dating thing a few years ago, I tried to keep things light and friendly while also getting a sense of what kind of person they were. Ask if he has kids - but also find out if he was involved in raising them (a lot of guys were divorced and had kids, but come to find out they were married like a year and divorced when the kid was little and was not involved at all). Find out what they like to do for fun. Ask about past long-term relationships. Very important also - ask about his relationship with his parents and if it was a good one. I know it is a generalization, but I have found that the better the relationship with his parents, the more emotionally stable he will be.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2010