What do you think about what this daycare did?

My sis has to take her 4 month old to daycare 2 days a week. Yesterday when she picked her up they had a blanket in the crib with her baby. My sis right away asked if they do that all the time and they said yes like it was ok! They also told my sis that some mothers instruct the dyacare to put a blanket over their baby's face bc they can't fall asleep wout it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter isn't in day care so I don't know what is normal, but I think it's surprising they do that, even for the mom's who tell them to do it. I would think they would be worried about being sued if a child died while in their care especially since everything you read or hear about these days says not to have blankets, toys, etc. in the crib with your baby. My daughter is six months old and I still swaddle her from the armpits down, but as soon as she starts moving around while sleeping, we're stopping that. I certainly wouldn't let her sleep with the blanket over her head, especially when in someone else's care. Sometimes my daughter wants to hold something as she falls asleep so I give her a little lovey toy but as soon as she's out, I move it out of her reach.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• was the blanket ON the babies face or just in the crib with the baby? I mean my daughter sleeps with a blanket in her crib. I dont think that is a big deal but if they are putting blankets on the babies faces well, tell your sister to tell them she does NOT want this done at all EVER.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with what they did. If she does not want a blanket with her 4 month old. Then she needs to tell them she does not want a blanket with baby. My kids used blankets at 4 months old in there crib.
    Anonymous

• my kids had a blanket since they were newborns
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Yeah, I dont see your point. My kids slept with blankets in their cribs. They need to stay warm just like we do. What's the beg deal? I don't get it. Are you guys seriously like that closed minded that you flip out because they gave the baby a blanket?? Wow.
    Anonymous

• OMG! Anon you are putting your baby at a HUGE sids risk. Read about it.
    Anonymous

• I'd report this situation to DCFS.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My babies had blankets. Those people are in there...usually checking on the babies often. The Child Development Center on base in New Orleans (first daycare my son went to at six months old), they EXPRESSLY asked you what your preferences were. They were SO grateful when I told them "you're with my son for 8 to 10 hours a day. You do what you feel is appropriate." First time moms often go overboard with overprotectiveness. I know I did with my older son. OMG...I was a baby nazi. LOL!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 1:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• OMG YOU PEOPLE ARE NUTS! SIDS SIDS SIDS! WHAT A DISGRACE!
    Anonymous

• I have read about it. I have also talked to my Dr about it and she said it was fine.
    Anonymous