SIDS. I am appauled.

I cannot believe the answers to that daycare question. How can so many people use blankets in their infant's cribs? They are not strong enough yet to pull that blanket off their face when in fact it will rise up. I would assume those same people put their baby to sleep on their stomach too. But na that's NOT a suffocation hazard one bit. (sarcasim)

www.sids.org

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ahem. Just because the low serotonin levels are there, does not mean it is the CAUSE of the SIDS. It is a factor that is present in babies with SIDS. What causes the low serotonin levels? What contributing factors are there to the subsequent episodes of apnea and/or suffocation?
    SIDS can be contributed to by blankets, bumpers, stuffed animals, etc.because babies that are prone to stop breathing and not start again are more likely to become hypoxic in low oxygen settings and stop breathing. Low oxygen settings like with a blanket on their face or in a room with very poor circulation (this is why fans are helpful). Stomach sleeping is also an issue because it compresses the lungs and diaphram, making breathing more difficult in the first place. It also makes it more likely the child cannot turn their head away from a pocket of air that is too high in CO2.
    Low serotonin levels are a factor in SIDS but not the only one!
    Anonymous

• I missed the question, but here in MI if you use any licensed child care provider it is part of their state rules that no blankets or bumpers are allowed in a crib/sleeping area
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• since you think you know so much. they think they have found the cause of sids genius and it wasnt caused by a blanket. They are saying that SIDS is caused by having low serotonin levels in the brain. Google Sids and Serotonin levels and the articles will pop up.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• SIDS and preventable crib death are also not the same thing
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• What ChaoticSoul said. Here is a link to the new findings

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3115663n
    Anonymous

• Im sorry for your loss chaotic soul but I take my baby to one of the best hospitals in the country and they told me the facts. There are many factors that cause SIDS. Some unknown.
    Anonymous

• Here is the article I am referring to. http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-02-03-sids03_st_N.htm
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• im a terrible mother then! i let my child have a blanket, a pillow, bumpers, a stuffed bear, and she slept on her stomach.
    and i will do it with my next child too!
    Anonymous

• Okay miss know it all. My kids were strong enough to pull a blanket off their faces at 4 months old. And when they were 3 months old..guess what, they slept on their tummies too...cuz they were rolling. When I was a baby...the doctors said it was best to lay babies on their bellies...and I was put to sleep on my belly as a baby...and I'm fine. Blankets can cause suffocation...yes...if you're not smart about it...but they don't cause SIDS....SIDS is SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME...not MY BABY SUFFOCATED BECAUSE A BLANKET WAS ON HER FACE....theres a difference. Stop placing judgement on people when you don't even know what you're talking about.
    Anonymous

• chaoticsoul is right. i heard the same information on the news just last week. and by the time babies are old enough to roll over on their tummies by THEMSELVES, they have enough seratonin in their brains by then to respond.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2010