what are the chances of delivering early if...

I'm having a totally normal, healthy pregnancy. I'm currently 26 weeks, so there's no chance of me delivering anytime soon. But I was just wondering, for a first-time mom that's having a healthy pregnancy, what are the chances of delivering a baby before 37 weeks? Could a random problem just pop up out of nowhere and make me have to deliver a preemie? Also, what are the chances of actually going past the EDD? I'm due December 20th and would hate to deliver on Christmas :/ Thanks mamas =D

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• lol im sure youll be fine but things just happen i guess you may have a small chance just because younever know what could happen ..
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2008

• I had a perfectly healthy pregnancy all the way through yet experienced pre-term labor at 33 weeks, then delivered at 36 weeks when my water broke. As for statistical numbers, I'm afraid I can't help you there.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2008

• How can we possibly know ....If you would have the baby earlie??/

I had my baby 38 weeks,

anything...37-40 weeks are good times to have the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2008

• if its going to happen its going to happen no one can tell you if it will. or even what your chances are. but what we can tell you what ours was like. with my first i was 16 i had a GREAT pregnancy i loved it. but my water broke at 34wks and 4 days. and i had my son 3 days later. then he had to stay in nicu for 10 days. i didnt do anything to bring it on i had energy but i was very lazy. so you can never know if it will happen or not. my daughter was born at 38 and 1 day. and i am currently preggo again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2008

• Every pregnancy is different unfortunately. With my first pregnancy, I miscarried at 13 weeks....with my son I was induced at 32 weeks due to preeclampsia. So now that I'm pregnant again and 25.5 weeks, my doctor checks my BP at every visit to make sure it isn't reoccuring. But the best way to avoid having premature labor and a preemie baby is to take care of yourself properly, and to stay on top of your health and make sure you follow your doctors orders. Also check any unusual symptoms you may have, and see what they could possibly be, and if it really worries you, then talk to your doctor asap!
    babydollbabe

Answer by babydollbabe at 7:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2008

• I was due Dec 20th last year. I delivered the 14th. I have a friend who delivered her first at 27 weeks along, and some friends who have gone to 43 weeks.
    A certain due date is a load. They used to give you a 3 week general area that you could deliver. Average pregnancy lasts anywhere from 38-42 weeks. I delivered early with 2 of mine. Anything can happen hun....your best bet is to do the best you can for both you and baby.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2008