Kids on leashes

Okay so I don't know how many of you agree with me that putting your kid on a leash is like treating them like a dog. You should have enough control over your children that you don't have to do the lazy mans way out and put them on a leash may as well go home and feed them some kibble and bits. If you have a rowdy child that takes off hold their hand be the assertive one I hate seeing parents tugging on their child's leash because their talking to a friend and can't pay enough attention to their kid. JMO

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree! It's just another excuse to treat their children like a pet.
    Anonymous

• i couldn't agree more!! its lazy parenting!! control your children, dont put them on a frickin leash!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think they are more acceptable at places like Disney World where there are people everywhere and especially if you have more than one or two children to keep up with. But my children don't have leashes! lol
    Anonymous

• I love how you lump everyone who uses them into one big group! I do use a leash, once in awhile. I have three children, three and under. If we go to a new place where I have never been, such as a big mall or the airport, wherever, my oldest who does hold on to the stroller and doesn't wander off because I do have control of my children will where one. This is for his safety. Things can happen so quickly, especially in big, crowded areas. I do not treat my child like a pet.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm . . . if you care about your dog enough to use a leash to protect them, why is it horrible to use one for your toddler? A toddler's arm/parent's back can get very sore holding hands all day long and most walking toddlers no longer want to be restrained in a stroller. In busy places, I see nothing wrong with it. We're going to the Baltimore Aquarium soon and they don't allow strollers, so we will be using a harness so that my daughter has the freedom to walk around, but is still attached to me. Answers like yours are ignorant. Strollers are more restrictive than a harness, so are they bad too? Isn't that like a cage then too?

I will never look down upon a parent who takes extra steps to protect their child. As anything else, of course, they can be misused, but most people who use them, use them for safety purposes and not because they're "lazy."
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• First of all - it's a harness, not a leash! Second of all, it's not being lazy or out of control, it's simply a way to help train them to stay with their mother/father/care taker... A child goes missing every 40 seconds. In a world where adults grab and run with children in crowded places or a kid can bolt away while mom is dealing with her other kids, a harness saves lives! You don't have to like it, but my son's harness saved his life when he tried to run out in to traffic after a ball on our way in to the store. Without the harness I never would have caught him fast enough, I was carrying my younger son. If you don't agree with a harness, don't put one on your kids, but I pray that you are able to completely control the actions of your kids and everyone else around them so that you never encounter a time when a harness could have saved your own child.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• If you have a rowdy child and you hold their hand you can dislocate their elbow. Once it happens then it is very easy to dislocate it again. It is very painful and requires immediate medical treatment. If you didn't have insurance and had to go to the ER every time it would get very expensive.

Some mothers have more than one child to protect. Some mothers are disabled. Toddlers are unpredictable and it's not possible to have perfect control over any toddler. In an encounter between a toddler and a vehicle, the toddler will not win.

You may not want to use a leash. If you see someone else using a leash you have no right to judge, you don't have enough info. When I see someone using a leash I assume there is a reason and that they are being a responsible care taker.

Be nice or mind your own business.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I have a 20 month old DD, and I got one as a gift, I never thought I would use it, but we did take it to the zoo just in case. It was INCREDIBLY busy, but I wanted my DD to be able to walk and see things. We put the back pack part on her, but never needed to connect the tail (that you hold on to) because she never tried to walk away from us. To be honest, the biggest reason we were going to use it is that my DD wants to walk, and I have a severe back injury where I can't bend down to hold her hand the whole time we're walking or I'm going to be in a lot of pain, and my DH is 6'2" and really cant reach down. I don't see anything WRONG with people using them, as long as they aren't using them as LEASHES but harnesses, and only in public, crowded areas that they don't want their child to get lost. IMO anyway.
    Anonymous

• SabrinaMBowen notice how you mentioned train your child haha again another dog term.
    Anonymous

• Have you ever flown with little kids and have to have them with you in the terminals,changing planes, all by yourself??? A "leash" or harness would be valuable and I wish they had been available back in 1970's when I had 3 kids anddidn't want them to run off. It is a good idea and I know many Moms who do it and they ARE NOT LAZY! You are very judgemental and rude.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2010