Why would someone want to live in a bland, boring housing development?

While driving around, I see so many suburbs and housing developments lining the roads. I've noticed that almost all of them look exactly the same. Same yards. Same colors. Same shapes. They're all the same! Why would anyone choose to conform to such a thing? What happened to individuality? Do people actually like the mundane and average? The sad thing is, some of these places are so expensive and are put together within 30 days!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• maybe its all they can afford
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it bugs me too. I wouldn't want to live somewhere like that because I've seen too many freaky movies involving neighborhoods as you have just described. You know what I'm talking about? The movies where all the houses are exactly the same, and so are the families and if you wanna move in you have to sign your life away to them and conform to their way of life and if you try to escape the kill you? haha.
    Anonymous

• anon 1:57....she's talking about the expensive housing developments. so i'm sure they can afford something else...
    Anonymous

• I hate that. That is why I love where I live. Because it is easiler for the builders to build the same thing over and over fast.
    Anonymous

• It cost alot more money to buy land, then pay a builder to build the house, and then you have to pay for septic, well digging, etc..With a development all that is done for you..At first most dev look the same but once a few years go by landscaping and individuality comes through..I think developments are good for kids when growing up, most have parks and walking trails, some even have a clubhouse with a pool and exercise rooms..There is a sense of community..To each his own...

Anonymous

• 30 days? LOL. No wonder they all look the same. Its not where I would want to live and they don't look like that here in the Twin Cities.30 days ...that sounds like a tenement development. My home took 5 months,it has stone and light blue siding and black shutters, a front porch and a 3 car garage. Nice homes take quite a while to build....30 days is just wrong,unless it is in the rundown,poor area where people on welfare rent for almost nothing.
    We have variety, several builder in a neighborhood with different house plans. Oh, and we have basements too.
    Anonymous

• to each his own. not me, but I do know people that like that sort of thing.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Boy you are special anon:07..Lucky you..haha

Anonymous

• When I drive through my brother's development I almost miss his house half the time. It's all planned out, all the houses look alike. I wish somebody would put a little brick in there or something, ugh. Some of the houses are exactly the same, some are opposites of each other, there's just little color differences.
    Anonymous

• I love my development, but all the houses are custom built, there weren't any housing plans to choose from but the plans had to be approved by the developer to make sure they fit with the style of the rest of the neighborhood. I'm glad they did it, because if they hadn't had any "rules" the neighborhood wouldn't be as pretty as it is. I love having the community pool, tennis courts, etc. available for my kids to use.

Answer by missanc at 2:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010