How to completely Phase Out the Binki

My DS is 18 months and is only allowed a Binki (pacifier) when he sleeps. I would like to begin to phase this out, as he now demands it and trys to hang on to it when he wakes up. I just think it is better to get rid of them before he becomes even more attached. I just don't know how to begin. Cold turkey seems kind of cruel but I don't want to send mixed messages. Any ideas?

FuzNet

Asked by FuzNet at 2:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cut off the tip or poke a hole in it so there isn't anymore suction. He won't want it anymore after that!
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My LO is only 13 months, so I don't even know if what I'm about to suggest is possible. But I've HEARD that some parents take their children to Build a Bear and put the paci inside the animal their making. Then they can still "sleep" with their paci but it's not in their mouth. Like I said, that may seem ludicrous to you - I'm not sure becuase my LO is so much younger. But it seems like a good theory!
    -Kiwi-

Answer by -Kiwi- at 2:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Actually Kiwi is doesn't sound ludicrous at all, and if I decide to wait a little bit longer to eliminate the pacifier I may use it. I think at 18 months he is still too young to grasp this concept but at 2 he might get it. Maybe I will wait.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• How mean. You let a child get hooked on a pacifier to meet his sucking needs because you didn't/don't want to use your breast. Now you want to take that away from him.

It's normal for human children to breastfeed until they are 3 or older. They always have and still do in most parts of the world. Most experts agree pacifiers won't hurt anything until 4 or older. He should be allowed to have it until he outgrows the need.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Gailll why is it that everything you have to say has to have BREAST FEEDING in the answer???? Not every single mother on here BF there child. This women wants to know a way that has worked for some to get the binki away from there LO this has nothing to do with BF so go back to your Little BFing gruop and run there.

I like the build a bear I have to try that one. Sorry for the above comment I am just at my wits end with this women.
    Anonymous

• Gaill, where do you get off. I breastfeed my DS until he self weaned at 10 months, I also exclusively breastfeed for the 1st 6 months of his life. Judgemental much!

I am soo sorry I don't live in your ideal world and actually have to work to put food on the table and shelter over his head. Get off your high horse.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• We had the "Bink Fairy" come when my daughter turned 2. She put all here Binys into a big manila envelope and hung it in the tree outside. We played up the fairy like it was Santa Clause coming. Then in the morning in place of her Binkys she had a big girl toy. It worked for us! She even found one later in her toy box ans came running in with it, insisting it get to the "Bink Fairy" RIGHT AWAY. =)
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• just take it away, cold turley. trsut me i waited and waited and then i realized i had a 33 mt old with a binky. it was 3 days of hell but is gone!!!

OH AND GAILL IS CRAZY SHE HAS NO GOOD ADVISED
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• What I was told to do was get them used to a transitional object first, like for my son I've started putting him to bed with "Hippy the Hip-Hop" dog which is a stuffed dog with a hoodie and beanie on. So you get them used to going to bed with the transitional object and then once they get attached to it then you take away the pacifier. It takes a few months because obviously they have to really like their transitional object but after that you just take the pacifier away or give it away to other "babies" or something like that. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• It's normal for human children to breastfeed until they are 3 or older. They always have and still do in most parts of the world. Most experts agree pacifiers won't hurt anything until 4 or older. He should be allowed to have it until he outgrows the need.....

~ Um.. no, they say that kids have jacked up teeth when they suck a bottle, thumb or pacifier too long. Gail is too uneducated to even know that so take what she says with a grain of salt. =)

This new trend of breastfeeding into childhood is growing.. It's called extreme breastfeeding. I think it's pretty sick.

If your child asks you to ride shotgun to the drive-thru because she doesn’t have enough money for a drink and a Big Mac, you’ve breastfed too long! lol!

Those people that say I'm the sick one for sexualizing breasts? If the kid comes up and asks for milk and tried to lift your shirt... they're obviously ready for food. Cut the umbilical cord already.
    Anonymous