School used student laptop webcams to spy on them at school and home

According to the filings in Blake J Robbins v Lower Merion School District (PA) et al, the laptops issued to high-school students in the well-heeled Philly suburb have webcams that can be covertly activated by the schools' administrators, who have used this facility to spy on students and even their families. The issue came to light when the Robbins's child was disciplined for "improper behavior in his home" and the Vice Principal used a photo taken by the webcam as evidence. The suit is a class action, brought on behalf of all students issued with these machines.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/17/school-used-student.html

Is this about as creepy as it comes? School officials spying on your child and family?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 2:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There are no words......

1 time by son's HS (private) dean disciplined my son about a comment D. had made on an online social network, and instructed him NOT to delete the comment. I wonder how much time school admins spend trolling SNWs? My son was also advised to notify his parents to call the school regarding said comment. My husband read the comment, deleted the comment, called the dean's office and gave notice that he would be at the school first thing the next morning. My husband made it very clear that while the school could make the rules, give instruction and impose discipline on their campus and during school functions, they would not instruct our son about what would/could be done in OUR home, EVER. The dean apologized.......

Some of these folks need to get a grip-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• BIG BROTHER, not that far off.  I'm sure someone will come and defend the school's behavior. 

Anonymous

• Improper behavior at home? What business is that of that schools?

And to bring what they were doing out in the open by showing a webcam picture! What on earth?!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Doesnt that fall under the voyerism laws?! That is absolutely creepy and WRONG! SO far out of the schools place!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• thats crazy! the world we live in is getting far beyond rediculous. i want to say im shocked but its only going to get worse.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 2:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Can you imagine how many teenagers have the laptops in their bedroom while they are dressing and undressing? Who would ever suspect they were being spied upon by the school administrators? 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• That is crazy! These people provided laptops and used them to invade the students privacy. I cannot believe they had the audacity to try to punish a student for something they did in the privacy of their own home. The school is so wrong.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• "Can you imagine how many teenagers have the laptops in their bedroom while they are dressing and undressing? Who would ever suspect they were being spied upon by the school administrators?"

Who would suspect it? This is mind-boggling crazy.
    Since so many students are issued computers, we can only hope it was an isolated incident.
    diospira

Answer by diospira at 2:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I am not one for law suits but THIS one needs to be taken all they way through. CLASS action for certain.

And I would possibly sue the creator of the technology that allows webcam spying. Especially on teens!
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 3:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• If my children are ever given laptops by the school my dh will give them a through examination.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2010