SAHM ... What does your budget look like?

My husband brings home about 1,000 every two weeks, so we'll say 2,000 a month. We have mortgage which is 485, child support is 420, car ins is 55, cable is 90, utilities are usually around 120, cell is 140 a month and then with groceries being about 75 a week .. so around 300 a month for that. and gas is cheap for us so around 150 a month.. so that totals 1760. So we have 240 dollars left. Will we have enough for me to be able to stay at home when my baby is born? How much do you as a SAHM have left at the end of the month that is extra?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• my hubby brings in 3200 a month, after our bills and everything else we have 1815 left for whatever. but my hubby is deployed and im temporarily staying with my parents and i pay a bill or two for them, that varies cause i pay whichever one they want me to that month, theyre letting me and dd live here for free so we pay some bills for them.
    Anonymous

• IMO, you can stay home. It just depends on how much of a priority you make it to stay home. Last year we had NOTHING left after paying the mortgage and bills. We were not using credit cards, no cable, no internet, no entertainment, no presents. My staying at home with the kids was a priority for both of us and we did what was necessary. It looks like you have plenty to be able to do that. There are many things you can do with the kids and for yourself that cost nothing. Check out parks, your library (tons to do there), and other things. If necessary you can cancel cable and trim down your cell phone bill too. It is well worth the sacrifices!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It seems like you should be able to stay home. If you do will your child care that you have listed now be put back in play? If it is then you should be ok. When I first started staying home I was lucky to have 25 dollar after buying diapers and formula! But it was important to us that I be home. There will be time later for going out to dinner and a movie! Good luck.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• There were times we had about $30 leftover after paying bills and buying groceries. I still stayed home.
    Now my husband makes about $3400/month and we should have a ton left over but we always spend it on other junk, lol. It's just nice to have extra after years of never having anything and scrimping to get by.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i bet you can, and you can always find ways to save money, like using coupons etc. you just have to live tighter but you can certainly do it.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 2:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• We only have $200 left at the end of each month after paying our bills. Our cable and cell bills looked more like yours do now before I stayed home. I would advise down grading both to cheaper plans. If you have a LAN line phone, either get rid of it and use only the cells or lose the cell and keep the phone line. I also do what I can to save on electricity. We all know to turn lites off that we aren't using, but a lot of us fail to do it and it really does save. My husband also started using lower wattage bulbs and that noticebly reduced our electricity bill. Finally, unplug appliances when they aren't being used. Even when you aren't currently using a toaster, coffee maker, curling iron, etc. they do draw out small levels of electricity which add up over time.

You can stay home on your budget, but it will take a little planning & sacrifice.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Yes, you can, but let me encourage you to be saving that extra money, and make that a priority. You need a cushion.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Mortgage 535
    Utilities 125
    Car Insurance 30
    Child Support 485
    Groceries/toiletries 500
    Gasoline 60
    Car payment 74

That's about $1,809
    We have about 5k savings
    The amount leftover from wages at the end of the month varies due to OT

Anonymous

• Your budget will change when your baby is born. You will need to buy diapers, food, clothing, medical care, etc. for the baby, so be sure you take that in to account when doing your budget (a baby can easily cost you an extra $240 per month or more). You may need to cut back on some other expenses to make it work. Also, as another mom pointed out, you need to be saving what you can now to have a cushion.
    Anonymous

• You can stay home on that. Unless your a big spender, because that $240 has to apply for gas to get to work. My fiance makes $10.50/hour at 40 hours a week. Our lease is $625, utilities $200, car insurance $125, and then all the extra food, baby items, etc. We usually have have a few hundered left, and I've been home with our 2 kids for 3 years.
    Anonymous