uhm you need to speak english

Okay,My husband and I are Japanese but moved to the usa for my husbands company. We were at the doctors office with our one year old son spencer. We speak Japanese often around him so he will know japanese and we visit japan at least once a year for both bussiness and to see our family. So my son MUST know japanese language and english language. we were jsut istting in the office talking in japanese and the lady at the desk was like uhm you guys need to speak english. we were not even speaking to her should i report her to her boss?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• hell yea.. you should have cussed her out in japanese!
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 2:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I would report her. She was just being plain rude and it was uncalled for.
    Anonymous

• Umm reporting her to her boss is gonna do what?? Welcome to the USA you need to chill out and just understand that sometimes when you are speaking a different language some people may think that you are speaking about them. What you do in you family is your own business but reporting someone is gonna get you NO WHERE....

Anonymous

• No. We are becoming a nation of tattle tales. If you have a problem with her you should have told her. "I can speak to my son in any language I want."
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Wow, I would have asked her(not to nicely mind you) why she was so insistent upon you speaking english when you aren't even speaking to her and I would have asked her what business it was of hers to butt into the conversation. That was rude and not acceptable. If you had been speaking directly to her, okay, I can see her asking politely to speak english(because she doesn't understand), but to poke her nose into someone elses business like that... yeah, I'd speak to her boss about that.
    Anonymous

• She was just being rude. Just tell her you have every right to talk in any language you wish too. Reporting her will not do a thing. Sorry she had to be so rude.
    Anonymous

• receptionist are just allowed to treat people like crap in the usa?
    Anonymous

• I would tell her America is a free country and you have freedom of speech in whatever language you choose to speak!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• She was wrong and rude. I don't know how I would have responded in your situation. I would have wanted to ask her why she was making that demand, but since I am not confrontational I probably would have just nodded and started speaking more quietly. I would probably voice a complaint because it would bother me to do nothing.
    Anonymous

• She was being rude. When you are speaking just to each other It is ok for you to speak your language. I have know problem with it personally. If I would have been you, I would have ignored her and kept on speaking to my husband.

Answer by louise2 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2010