What is the difference between Republican vs. Conservative & Democrat Vs. Liberal?

Looking for anyone who can let me know the differences between Republican and Conservative and Democrat and liberal. I'm hearing there is a difference and would love ot know exactly what the differences are.

SylviaNCali

Asked by SylviaNCali at 2:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know for sure, but I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. I'm NOT a Republican OR a Democrat, but a registered Libertarian. It's the closest to my belief system that I can find.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• In my opinion Republican and Democrats are a party affiliation. Conservative and Liberal are a broad group of ideals not necessarily conforming to any particular party.. hope that helps

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Don't get me wrong there are Conservative and Liberal parties across the world, but they don't account for the US majority...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Explain the fiscal/ conservative and social/ liberal agenda. IMO, this means nothing more than do what you want with your money. Am I missing something? I see ladies working in tandem with other posters. For you #s women who are FC and SL, do you and the other members of your group ever discuss these concepts amongst yourselves? For example those who are clearly FC and SC? Do your discussions get heated?

To OP, I am an Independent, pretty middle of the road. I hate the corruption of all parties and the way our system is currently rigged to favor 1 of the 2 major (corrupt) parties. I hate the pandering to BB and SEG in order to garner $$$ and votes at election time. It's a system in place that guarantees an outcome that many in our country are tired of seeing.

I agree with TEACHING to fish and supporting the process from start to finish, yet also accepting  that a sm # will never learn-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• GIRLYGLIRZ2 is right. Republican and Democrat are political parties. Liberal and Conservative are words describing where you land on the political spectrum. (This can be confusing because some political parties name themselves "Liberals" or "Conservatives"...i.e. Canada) Republicans are more conservative than Democrats. Democrats are more liberal than Republicans, etc. You will also hear people talk about the Left and the Right...The Left is more Liberal and the Right is more Conservative. At the extreme Left you'll find Communism and at the Extreme Right you'll find Fascism. Look up Political Spectrum for more.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• A Republican is a just someone who has a party affiliate. They share common beliefs and goals as Conservatives but walk a party line. I am a Conservative registered Independent. IMO Republicans have become the new Democrat party... the party has really faded from what I first considered a Republican.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Like grlygrlz says, D or R = the club you belong to, Conservative and Liberal are PRINCIPLES which each individual agrees with.
    For instance a Conservative would wish to see parents given maximum choice about which school their child attends, whereas a Liberal might wish for more state gov't regulation to make ALL the state's schools the same.

And keep in mind the stealthy infiltration of "Liberals" by goals which are actually Progressive. Much of what you hear called Liberal today would be appalling to a Liberal of JFK's time. In the school analogy, a Progressive wishes to have the FEDERAL gov't control all schools across the nation, AND to insert many non-school subjects into the lessons to bias the students to think what the Progressives want them to think. It's "social engineering", and is based on utter contempt for parents.

If you find yourself agreeing with this agenda, you probably have been successfully biassed
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• "Explain the fiscal/ conservative and social/ liberal agenda. IMO, this means nothing more than do what you want with your money."

Social liberal means I support gay marriage and adoption, I'm pro-choice, polygamy among consenting adults should be legal, legalization of pot and prostitution. People should be able to live their lives as they see fit.

Fiscal conservative means I don't like excess taxes, don't think the government should fund every agenda, plan and idea under the sun. The government needs funding for roads, military, law enforcement, etc. Not fund a study that shows people who drink excessively are more likely to have random sex, and other unneeded crap like that. SMALL government would be my choice.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I'd like to put in my two cents about "Right" compared with "Left"

Communism and Fascism BOTH push for gov't rule of people and gov't control of everything - Communists want the gov't to take over ownership of the private businesses, Fascists don't mind if people still OWN businesses, they just want the gov't to completely CONTROL businesses. BOTH these ideas trample on individuals' rights and obliterate most of them. They BOTH embrace sacrificing the welfare of individuals for "the needs of the collective". Gov't power, and the collective is more important than the individual.

They are BOTH blatantly "Left". ... "Right" respects the individuals' rights OVER "the needs of the collective", and believes gov't should have very limited power, the more local the better.

"Right" values what is in the U.S.Constitution. "Left" (progressives) feel hindered by the Constitution, & have spent decades successfully circumventing it
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Republican and Democrat are party labels. Conservative and liberal (lower case) are belief systems; upper case may also be Political parties.
    Anonymous