Would you do this? Need advice!!

My husband and I are currently living with my parents with our son and another on the way. However, he has a house a couple hours away that we could possibly move into. The pros of this house are: it's COMPLETELY PAID FOR and it's adorable, with a fenced in backyard and a fireplace. It would get us out of my parents house and it would help our family save A LOT of money. The cons are: it does need some work (no big deal), I would be 2 hours away from my parents and my son's biological father (who he will be with every other weekend) and my husband and his ex-wife used to live in this house. Would you go for it or would you be too uncomfortable living somewhere where your husband/s.o. used to live with his ex AND with leaving your child with his father 2 hours away?

MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Asked by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I would move. It would be a better situation than living with your parents. You and your husband need to be independent and your family needs some privacy. You will make the house YOUR home, so I don't think the ex-wife having lived there is that big of a deal. I also wouldn't be that much more concerned having your son visit his dad two hours away than you were when he visited in the same town since your parents will be nearby if needed. You could stay with your parents over the weekend the first few times your son visits his dad if that makes you feel better. Also, two hours is not all that far.
    Anonymous

• I would not have a problem with it. to get some privacy it is worth it. 2 hours away is not that much, to me.

Answer by louise2 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I would not have one problem living in this house I think that your just having an issue with in yourself about living there go move there you will get past this trust me I have been there before and it will go away. Time tells all.
    Anonymous

• who cares of she used to live there. Be happy he has a house. Yes there are memories there...but ya'll will make some of ya'lls own that will over shadow the past. Move in and don't worry about anything. It's ya'lls house now and you should live in it. As for the dad....he is the father and you should be able to trust him 2 hours away with ya'll child. And if something ever happened, you're still only 2 hours away.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I wouldnt even have to ask..i wouldve jumped on that house so quick!!! lol..a 2 hour drive is NOTHING i used to make that every friday and monday (we spent the weekends with SOs mom)....its a house and its paid for...and its within a day trip visit! TAKE IT!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• damn, if you dont want it, i'll take it lol. are you crazy? TAKE IT. I'm a mother of two, ages 2 yrs and 8 months...and let me tell you...if i had ANY oppertunity to get out of my parents house, i would take it SO fast. Living with your parents when you have children of your own tends to interfere with your parenting. It would be better to separate your kids from their grandparents while they are still young...of course visits are always nice...but living with your parents is NOT healthy when you have kids.
    Anonymous

• Your list of cons doesn't really sound like cons to me. Living 2 hours away from family is nothing. I live 3 hours from my parents, and before getting married I drove back home every weekend to visit. Living in a house that he lived in with his x-wife is a non issue too. You chose to marry a man that has been married before. He has a past with another woman; it's just something you have to live with.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Anonymous 2:03 you are soooo right. Whenever my husband and I try to discipline our son, my parents always jump in and let him off the hook or when we tell him no, he runs to them and they give in to him. It drives me CRAZY cuz it's teaching him not to listen to us. The only reason I see my son being 2 hours away as a con is because I do not trust his father and I like being right down the road if something happens. Plus, he tends to call me last minute to come pick him up (when he gets tired of him) and if I don't pick him up, he throws him off on someone else (his family of friends, who I also don't trust.) As for my husband's ex living in that house, it does not bother me and I do not have "an issue within myself" lol i just wanted other lady's points of view. I am actually excited about us having our own place again and fixing it up and all of us having our own rooms!! Like I said, I just wanted other opinions. Thank you.
    MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Answer by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2010