Does anyone know much about the drug Klonopin?

I was prescribed this for stress, im suppose to take half of a 0.5mg tab, which is half of a half of a milligram, twice a day. I do not want to be hocked on this drug for i have heard that the withdrawl effects are bad so i take it as needed, i get stress so bad i break out in hives that look like whip marks acroos my back so i need this medicine, but after i take it which is like onc a week i feel more relaxed, than when i wears off i get really depressed. I can't stand the depressed feeling afterwards, is that normal? and i cant go see my dr all the time he is $330 a visit

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Health

• The above answers are all correct. I take the same dosage you do and it's a miniscule dosage compared to some people. I've taken it for years and the worst I've gotten is a slight headache when I forget a pill here or there. Most people have to take a much higher dosage for a long period of time before their body becomes addicted, but it's not as bad an addiction as you'd think. When it's time to back off the meds, you just cut it back bit by bit, letting your body adjust before cutting back again.

When you take the pill whenever you feel like it, you're only temporarily relieving the anxiety and not letting yourself recover. If you take it regularly, you give your body a chance to get over the physical symptoms of stress. It's like taking amoxicillin until you feel better, but the infection isn't gone until you complete the dosage.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I was prescribed it, the same dosage as well. I took it religiously twice a day every day. I had to stop taking it when I got pregnant and I had virtually no withdrawal symptoms. I did not feel dependent on it at all. It helped me when I took it, and I could see it wasn't helping when I was off it but I did not feel addicted in any way. Hopefully, that helps =)
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I have been on this for 2 years and I take 0.5 3x a day and I have been not able to take it a few times cause of getting surgery and I had no withdrawals at all. You need and should take it at least once a day in the evening is the best time to take it, even if you feel great just take it it does help and it is not addict. Stay strong, keep your head up.
    Anonymous

• You really should take it as your doctor prescribes. I was taking .5 mg twice a day for about 6 months, every day. After the dr thought I would be fine to wean off them, we went to .5 mg once a day for a week, then .5 mg every other day for a week, then off. I had NO withdrawals. It could be because you are taking them sporadically and I believe the medication works best when taken on a regular schedule so the amount of the drug in your system stays at a steady level. Talk to your doctor about it if you can.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• thanks so much guys
    Anonymous