Why do you hate living pay check to pay check?

We have about $2000 in savings at any given time for emergencies, but for the most part we live pay check to pay check. I hear people complain about it a lot, but it honestly doesn't bother me! We're buying our house and vehicles, my DD (2) has a college account that we and my parents put money into every month. We're not "well off" but make ok money, I just don't see the point of having money just sitting there (unless it is for something specific!). If we want to take a vacation, we set aside a bit of extra money for a few months, and then we're good to go. I buy my DD stuff that she needs, and a lot of times what she wants, and buy myself and DH stuff when we need/want it, too.

I guess I'm just confused why it bothers people to not have "extra money" just sitting aside..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Because we don't have that extra to go on vacation. We don't have that extra in the bank for if hubby lost a job. We have no way to take care of ourselfs if that happens. It is no fun to not have extra to enjoy.
    Anonymous

• If you have savings and college savings..you dont REALLY live paycheck to paycheck! to me paycheck to paycheck is NOT having the extra to put into savings, its having to plan out how far you can drive before your check even comes. its SCRIMPING by, and i hate it because its not STABLE! Theres no entertainment in it! People try to get better jobs and education to avoid that situation. Its not fun working all day and NEVER being able to enjoy the money from that work, makes for a miserable life!
    Anonymous

• If you live paycheck to paycheck then you don't have money to save in case of an emergency, you don't have money to go on vacation, and you don't have money to buy many extras. You can't see a way to ever get ahead and feel secure. It's like you are stepping on the gas, but your wheels are spinning in place - you are going nowhere.

It sounds like you are just a little above "paycheck to paycheck" level, as am I, but I have been there and it wasn't fun.
    Anonymous

• why wouldn't you from your standpoint you don't seem to be living "paycheck to paycheck" so why even ask there are ppl worse off than you are that have no extra for savings!
    Anonymous

• If you have $2k, you're NOT living paycheck to paycheck. Paycheck to paycheck is you wait for your check to buy groceries, take your child to the doctor, etc.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I like having money set aside for emergencies. You never know when you'll need it.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• If you get BIG paychecks....it wouldn't be a big deal. But we are living paycheck to paycheck on a $5/ph salary (plus tips). So it SUCKS. We can hardly afford food. Diapers and kids food comes before anything else...and that leaves us with pretty much nothing. We can't even afford to pay my parents rent anymore. That's why I hate it.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't call having 2000 in savings, living paycheck to paycheck. If something comes up- you can take care of it most likely. People who live paychech to paycheck live in fear that something will break and there will be NO money to fix it- even buying food and gas has to be figured out to the penny...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• OP here: Wow, I really came off as a b*tch.

I'm really sorry, I sincerely wasn't trying to act like that.
    Anonymous

• there is a difference in living paycheck to paycheck, having enough to pay bills and set aside NEEDED funds, and then theres the people who once have done all of the above have several hundred or more dollars just sitting there. all necessary funds aside, like college funds and emergency funds, i understand what yer saying. we dont really save, but we have enough to buffer if we need it. but we NEVER NEVER NEVER have leftovers to just say hey...look at that! we have 400 dollars for whatever! i hear ya...im super happy where im at. i get to stay at home with my kiddo and live on one paycheck...means i dont get to vacation or donate largely to charity, but i do what i can when i can. im lucky to pay my tithes...luckily God has blessed me to give in other ways when i can. i have no wants but for my family to be happy. who needs moola to fill your heart when you have God and a family!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 7:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2010