How do I get my 2 yr old to sleep in his toddler bed?

Ok, we live in a one bed room apt for now. My son use to be able to sleep on his own, but he started to get up in the middle of the night. I would bring him to my bed (yes, I know big mistake). Now I have to put him to sleep on my bed and then transfer him to his toddler bed. He still gets up at night and when I try to put him back he wakes up. He then refuses to stay on the toddler bed. Please I need help to try to break him out of this. I have tryed putting him on his toddler bed and sitting on the floor until he falls asleep. Still he got up at night. I would put him back to bed and I haven't lost sleep trying to keep him on his bed. I work, so loosing sleep is not a very good idea. Please help!!!!

jljnov

Asked by jljnov at 3:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is doing the exact same thing. Every night around 4:30 or 5:00 he comes creeping in. I put him back in his bed over and over. He rarely falls back asleep and I never do. Sigh.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 3:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• See the article "How to put your toddler to bed without tears"  under BEDTIME on this page http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 5:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Tell him before bed that if he gets out of bed you will put him back in bed. Tell him that you will NOT talk to him, just put him back. The rule is stay in bed. Then stick to it (it is hard to not talk to them, but important so that they have not interaction with you, some will do anything for the chance to engage). Plan on a few nights of repeatedly putting him back and getting little sleep. You may end up in the hall for an hour putting him back over and over. Eventually he learns it is not worth getting up for.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I have a 3 year old that started getting up at night and going in my room. She usually would wake me up and I would put her back in bed. I also have a 5 year old that comes in sometimes. I am so tired at night that I don't even realize she climbed in bed with me until morning. I am still looking for answers. The both go to bed good at night, they just wake up during the night.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 11:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Some nights my 3 year old climbs into bed with me around 5am. It's not every night though, and she seems like she really needs me, so I let her stay. For getting little one to bed though, I'd suggest letting him pick out a special bed item, like a neat pillow or his own cool bedsheets that makes it feel more like it's his special space.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 1:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• If he gets out of bed before you go to bed, just put him back. If he gets up in the middle of the night, tell him he can sleep in his bed or on the floor in your room. Don't make it too comfy for him on the floor (a pillow and blanket should do). He'll probably do this for a few nights but eventually he'll realize it's much more comfortable in his own bed than on your floor.
    It took us a solid month for the twins to go to bed and stay in bed but it was well worth it! Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2010