how to discipline a 9 month old:-/ ??

oh my goodness my daughter is throwing temper tantrums left and right! sometimes i just let her sit there and cry of course making sure shes ok but she always chokes herself up and i haveto pick her up ofcourse and make sure she is fine but i feel like she wants me to pick her up and she feels like she is getting her way and being spoiled to it... what were some good techniques you used for an infant? please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Teach her baby sign language. She may be frustrated because she is unable to communicate.

LOVE LOVE LOVE her, you can not spoil a child with love. Let your love lead you to setting boundaries for her that are age appropriate.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 3:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• yea, 9 month olds don't throw tantrums to be delibertly bad like a preschooler does, they do it because they have no other way of communicating. Let her have her tantrums, but there should not be a "punishment" for it.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Distraction is usually the best thing with babies this age. They don't really need discipline, they're still babies. Also, sometimes they don't feel good and just want to be held, there's nothing wrong with that either. What are you doing that is soooo important that you can't hold your child? CafeMom?

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 3:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• At that age I would just firmly tell my child, NO. Then while trying to calm her down, tell her it isn't right to scream and yell when she is upset. She needs to be patient, kind, etc - whatever it was that caused her to get upset in the first place. For my son the tantrums came because of impatience. After she calms down praise her and move on to something fun. Eventually they understand the context of what you are saying. Now I can just tell my son he needs to be patient and he calms down rather quickly.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• She's trying to communicate with you. Just pick her up.

Or try a jumper, or exersaucer if you can't hold her all day.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• You don't dicipline a 9 month old.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 3:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 by: KaroGreenly
    Distraction is usually the best thing with babies this age. They don't really need discipline, they're still babies. Also, sometimes they don't feel good and just want to be held, there's nothing wrong with that either. What are you doing that is soooo important that you can't hold your child? CafeMom?

its not that i CANT hold my child... i just dont want her to get spoiled to being held all day long...
    Anonymous

• I will say that although the above posters are right....I had a child that flipped out once at 6 months. My mom and I were getting out of the car to go into Wal-mart, I was getting a buggy while my mom was holding him. He was reaching for me and whining. I told him no, let Nonnie hold you while I get a buggy. He immediately threw his head back and squealed. He knew exactly what he was doing. I gave him a tiny little tap on his leg and said no, you don't do that. He stopped and gave me the evil eye. LOL Never did it again until he was older.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• You don't dicipline a 9 month old.

so i just let her do whatever she wants when she wants??
    Anonymous

GOOD IDEA!! thanx! sign language seems just right
    Anonymous