How do I deal with a almost 3 year old and his terrible 2's?

He climbs on everything and he tells I don't want to and you can't make me.I'm good at punishing him but in a day or two he goes back and does it again.He is a good kid but he drives me crazy!!!

AMBER2520

Asked by AMBER2520 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is just testing you. Some kids will do that for ther rest of there life. If they can get away with it even once they will keep doing it. It is hard but just keep puting him in the time outs.
    Anonymous

• You just have to be consistant with the punishment... the second you don't do it you start from scratch... he just needs a reminder for awhile on this for some reason. My 2nd child had terrible 2's until he hit age 5. and then he was constantly grounded as he got older. He's a great young man in college now and I couldn't be more proud.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• try giving him natural consequences rather than punishment all the time. if he's throwing a fit and makes you mad, be "too mad" to read a book or whatever he wants when he asks for it. Also, try and anticipate the behavior and warn of the consequence before a fit: I can see you're frustrated. you could go to your room and have some quiet time. If you throw a fit, though, we won't watch anymore TV today, etc. Good luck. Sometimes I just lock her bedroom door and go into the living room until the fit stops.
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 1:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2010