at what age do you think kids know right from wrong?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 3:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• around 18 mts.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think it is much younger than we give them credit for. Sometimes I have gotten a look/expression and I swear they know EXACTLY what they are doing!!! I will never forget my firstborn at 15 months, sitting on the bed with his new baby brother. A bottle of water was spilled all over the bed and I asked him what happened. He immediately pointed to the infant! LOL! He knew it was wrong to play with the water and blamed baby brother!! He sure didn't immediately learn that at 15 months.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Young children know right and wrong but their reasoning on it is basically "because the grown ups told me so." They don't start making complex moral judgments based on their own thought processes until probably early adolescence or even later for some!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• As early as the parent teaches them right from wrong. My son didn't need to learn "No" until he became mobile. This started with him climbing before he could even crawl. When that started he learned quickly right from wrong. I would say that was at about 9-10 months old. He is now 16-17 months old and it's very clear that he knows the difference. He knows what "No" means and "Leave It" means. He knows what he should and shouldn't touch. Everything a child learns is by example, experience, and what they're taught by the parent. A child can learn just about anything as long as the option is presented to them. Children are a lot smarter then people give them credit for. Even infants.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Depends on the child. Most have a very basic understanding around a year old, but I know adults that are still struggling with this concept.
    Anonymous

• My daughter's 2. She know's it's wrong to hit. She knows that is a wrong thing to do.
    She doesn't know if assisted suicide is a right / wrong thing to do, or how about stealing if you are starving? What about breaking the laws to free and innocent person or protest against an unjust law?

the world isn't as easy as 'right' and 'wrong'. Otherwise there would be no difference of opinion and the world would be a boring place.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 6:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think they know very early, especially once they become mobile....at the same time they lack self control. So while they understand they can't jump on the bed they also can't control the impulse to do it anyways....thats why we have to say the same thing over and over again.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2010