Is your husband cut out to be a SAHD?

My husband watched our infant twins half days when I first went back to work, and while he was glad to have the experience, he is the first to admit he could never do it full time. He tells me that he believes men are not biologically programmed to take on the challenges of fulltime childcare. What do you think? How would your hubby fare as a SAHD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think that SOME men are cut out to be SAHD's. I have heard of men doing it.
    As far as DH goes, I think he could handle it at first. However, what men generally don't realize is how hard being a SAHP is. What all it entails, what goes into it, what little you get out of it, etc. Therefore, in the long run I think he would be begging to go back to work. Though I know he's capable he wouldn't want to put forth that much effort that is required by a SAHP.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I would like to see him try to be a SAHD. his parenting style is a lot different than mine (not as patient, lenient, etc). I think a few weeks in my shoes would give him a new appreciation for what I do and for our son.
    Anonymous

• No. For a temporary thing, the house would look wild. For a permanent thing, he would be a drill sergeant.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Nope, no way. In fact, when I go shopping, out dinner w/ a friend, etc. he ends up telling me how much he appreciates me. We have a 6 yo, 4 yo, and 3 yo, and a new baby on the way! He knows he couldn't do it, and I know he couldn't do it. There are things as a woman that I just naturally do better.....clean the house, multi-task, and discipline patiently through out the day better. I'm thankful that he sees how hard I work, and he's thankful that I see how hard he works when he's away! It balances out.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 3:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• hell no!! he cant do shit. i have to remind him to changed a diaper feed the baby. he is to busy playing video games to put attention to the kids. he works alot . but him sahd. yeah right!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think he'd be able to handle the kids. Sadly I'll admit they obey him better than they do me. Which is aggravating, but a different topic! The house on the other hand would probably be a disaster pit until a few days later he decides that we should clean. So lets just keep it the way it is! Me at home, him at work ... Life is much smoother that way!
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My husband seems to think he could do it. Personally, I don't think he would get done as much with his day as I do. I don't think he's as focused on cleaning as I am. Or neatness. Or quite patient enough with the kids. They listen to him better, but I don't think he would have the right amount of patience and compassion when there is a REAL problem.
    Anonymous

• I think he would be fine at first but like a pp said after awhile he would be begging to go back to work lol.
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• my hubby can't. if i leave him with the kids for most of the day, when i come home all he can say is, ' how do you do it? they are driving me nuts and how do you get everything done?." then he kisses up to me for the rest of the night so he doesn't have to do it again.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 4:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Mine could do it, but he tells me I do it better. Maybe he's just sweet. :)
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010