Whats the easiest way to potty try my 20 month old...

I know she is ready. Because if you put just a diaper on her with no pants that diaper is coming off.. But I have been working with her on the potty and I can put her on it every 30 mins for about 2 minutes each time and nothing. But not even ten mins after shes out of the bathroom she pees in her pants. Its hard when I am 39 weeks pregnant to keep changing her or puttin new outfits on every ten mins..

BridgetMckenzie

Asked by BridgetMckenzie at 4:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The easiest way would be wait. :) Seriously...that is way young.
    Anonymous

• I read 18 months and when I started doing it my daughter's doctor discouraged me and suggested that I wait until she was 2 years old. Your daughter maybe in the naked stage, so children love to get nake and run around. I know mine did. But, if your serious, you think she's ready you need to go out and get her big girl panties. I think it's you that wants to rush into it, because your having another child soon.
    Try this website it helped for me.
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_successful-potty-training-for-girls_11653.bc
    Anonymous

• I'd say that she's not ready to potty train and she's going through the naked baby stage. I'd wait a few more months to start potty training her, and right now just keep putting the diapers back on.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• just because she likes to take off a diaper doesn't make her ready. Give yourself and her a break, with the new baby the very last thing you'll want to be doing is cleaning our poopy undies and wiping up puddles. All 4 of mine had a fascination for a couple of weeks at around this age, then lost all interest and were two and a half before they showed any interest again. She's not ready
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It's not way too young... my first trained at 19 months and my 17 month old is ready right now... she's dry all night and poops only in the potty but in her case I'm going to wait about a month before I switch her to undies because we won't have the time at home to focus on it until then. What we did with our first with amazing results (and she showed NONE of the signs before we started) is we got rid of diapers, got some pull-ups for overnight, and we put her in undies and a shirt, let her play, and kept the potty close by. Every time she started to pee in her undies, we moved her to the potty. We watched her like a hawk so it happened ever time, and usually some pee made it in. She learned in just over a week. Now, the ONLY reason I will say, then, is not because of her age, but because of your new baby on the way: I would wait to do too much. What you can do is begin putting her on after meals, after waking, before bed...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:10 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• (cont'd)... Put a pile of books she enjoys by the toilet, and sit with her with no pressure at those times. Make it a ritual. Nothing may happen then, but if you do it after meals, you have a good chance she'll start pooping there. Pee you can take care of very quickly and easily later with the method I described. My 17 month old loves her potty time. She "asks" for certain books, likes me to read them, or sometimes reads them herself, poops, then wants me to wipe her so she can flush the toilet. Your little one is fully capable of being trained, don't let anyone tell you different... but it takes a commitment that you may not want to make with all you have on your plate. So just help her to enjoy the potty... in a month or two, say goodbye to diapers and don't look back! GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I'm wondering what the rush is. If she's only 20mths and she is not showing any signs of being aware other than just taking the diaper off. EmilySusan may have had great results and that's fantastic but many mothers have also tried to start before their toddler was ready and will tell you it is a long messy road. If you aren't in a hurry for another reason just wait til the baby is not a newborn and til your toddler is showing at least one sign of being aware. There are no rules to this, some kids don't get it together til they are 3!
    Anonymous