How to potty train a 2 year old boy?

I have a two year old... and he will take off his diaper and pants and pee on the floor and then put them back on, he will tell me after he goes but he wont tell me before he goes. he started peeing/pooing on his floor in his room and i started spanking him for that, now he's afraid of the toilet and even telling me he pooped. what should i do?

zachzach

Asked by zachzach at 4:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• reward for peeing and pooping in the potty. we used m&m's and the cnady corn pumpkins for poops. eventually i would tell her that we were out of pumpkins, but she still needs to poop andpee on the potty.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I dont have a son but my friend does have a 2 yr old boy and was having soe difficulty. She was already training him and she could seem to get him to do #2 in the toilet. I suggested to just let him run naked in the house, stick the training potty in front of the TV since he like to watch Disney and when he has to go, he ha no where to go except the potty because he didnt have underwear on. I have t say maybe 3 days later, he did not have an accident unless they were in the car too long. (which wasnt often). I would also suggest putting cheerios in the toilet and he would have to aim..make it a game. After everytime he goes potty, I would give him a treat, something small and not filling because after they get used to 'potty treat potty treat' they will go often. I would say M&Ms or Golden Bears or bite size oreos. Maybe you can do 1 M&M for pee and 2 for poop?
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Continued....he wont be able to reach and instead of you rying to hold him everytime, I would get a step stool for him. And more than likely youll need to show him how to aim haha because the pee really does go everywhere!!!
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I didnt read the question..i feel dumb. Not that i dissapprove of spanking but I would stop spanking him for that because he doesnt really know how to control it and I bet he puts his underwear back on because he is afraid to get in trouble. He will be almost 3 until he gets his potty training down pack. I would also suggest ask him OFTEN. Like every 10 minutes and dont let him out of your sight because once you are not near him, then that is when he will pee in his room again. He understands peeing in his pants is not good, but he cant physically control it all the way yet. Dont get mad, use treats and motivate him! even try a potty chart with stickers....anything to make him think "yay im doing a good job now, mommy is so proud of me!"
    Allie120

Answer by Allie120 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Dont spank. Make him clean it up. Dont make a big deal out of and show him this is where we go potty. I waited till my boy was 3 and it only took 3 days. Done!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Put cheerios in the toilet and tell him it's target practice. It worked for me!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I second making him clean it up, worked for my son. what about taking him to the potty every hour or whatever works for you until he gets the hang of it. Make him sit there until he does something.
    Anonymous