What is the reason you cannot get a tattoo while pregnant?

I was going to cover up my tattoo since I was dumb and I have my ex's name tattooed on me. But this Summer I am going to meet my inlaws for the first time and they live in Arizona so it's going to be super hot!! I have my tattoo on my shoulder so yeah. I just found out that I am 6 weeks pregnant. I was going to get it covered before but the same thing happened to me I was pregnant then too lol, and then I was breastfeeding until my son was a yr old and then I just didn't get around to it so 5 months later here i am pregnant lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it's because your skin is more sensitive. You will probably bleed more than u normally would getting one. I know I was prego and went to have a bikini wax ...OMG! I left in tears! I had welps down there, blood and it bruised on the spot! Oh dear god, i will never do that again. I would wait.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Because of the risk of infection. You are now responsible for the health of your baby too...which you know or you wouldn't have asked. But our bodies are more sensitive to things when we are pregnant. So imo it is not worth the risk of infection. If you don't want the inlaws to see it cover it with a large bandaid.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• The risk of diseases and the ink entering your bloodstream is why you can't. You can suffer through the heat in a short-sleeved shirt and shorts (BTW, we all have central air here in AZ lol), or you can explain that you did something kinda dumb once upon a time, don't we all? lol.

Also, you can get tattooed while breastfeeding, since the ink doesn't transfer into breastmilk in dangerous quantities... if you can find someone to do it. It's not that big a deal.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i think the biggest reason is a risk of infection.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 4:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Infection is part of it.

Pregnancy hormones can really change stuff unexpectedly. You might have a reaction to the ink, even if it's ink you have used before and is already in your skin. You might eject all the color a few hours after having it done. You might develop scar tissue. Just like coloring your hair while pregnant can end up with tragic clown like results, so can a tattoo.

It would suck to sit through a session just to have to do it all over again and get a 2nd cover up 6 months later. Plus, it's going to hurt WAY more while you're pregnant. You could also bleed tons more and you need your blood in your body.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• OP: I am NOT going to do it, I'll probably just get it covered up after I am done BF. I'm just asking becasue I have heard you shouldn't but I can't remember the exact reason.

Anonymous

• Hey, there are some really cool cover ups that work well. My mom had a chemical burn in her late 20's, and has used a nifty makeup to cover it. It comes in a million shades and blends flawlessly- it offers complete coverage, and is waterproof (well, water resistant), it is made to be used on the body, so it won't rub off on clothing. I forgot what it is called, but I'm sure if you Googled concealer for burn victims you would find what I am talking about!!! I used it for a couple of job interviews too- I have a tat on my wrist, BELOW the cuff... So, a lot of places will not hire based on corporate policy, and I have to cover it. It worked amazingly well- you should look into it!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Could you possibly get it covered with a good henna tattoo for the time being?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Getting a tattoo won't hurt the baby but there are possible risks of you getting an infection so I would suggest you not getting a tattoo til after the baby is born
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2010