I've always been against the child leash but...

It's impossible to take my 18 month old anywhere - even to the park! He hates being in the stroller (which is understandable I guess) but he also refuses to hold anyone's hand while walking. When I do let him roam around he inevitably ends up going towards places he shouldn't - like the street. When I try to pick him up or redirect him he SCREAMS his head off and throws himself on the ground and throws a tantrum. It usually doesn't last long but he does it every single time. I see people staring at me like my child is a brat and I want to yell "PLEASE! ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO HANDLE THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!" So, any advice? Do you think a child "leash" would be the best option here? Any other mommies with this problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know the phase you're talking about, and it doesn't last forever even though it seems like it will. I don't like the leashes personally, and I think if you have that feeling about them, too, you should just hold off... you may get some looks as you have to muscle your 18 month-old, but screw those people. Once I took a bow at the airport because I was sick of my passive-aggressive, judgmental audience as I dealt with a toddler who had been made to wait in the airport for 7.5 hours. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• the leash... it all depends on how you use it, it is not used to tug on and to keep your child with you and drag the child like an animal. it is simply REALLY used to keep teh child within arms reach of you so they do not get kidnapped, or walk away.
    Anonymous

• Not for the park. i only used mine for really busy places. Like the airport or amusement park. My DD sometimes throws a tantrum when she is told she isn't allowed to wander somewhere when that happens then her butt goes right into the stroller until she calms down.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 4:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I had a 13 month old and a newborn at the same time, well by the time the older one was almost 2 it was almost impossible to make him sit in a stroller all day when we were shopping, etc. He wanted to walk off and on so I kept an Elmo harness with me. He loved it, he would just smile when I would get it out. Once he was about 3 we didn't need it anymore. It gave me peace of mind and kept out LO out of harms way... He didn't suffer from any of it...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• our*
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I tell my daughter that if she wants to walk she has to hold hands. That goes for anywhere we go. If it's a special place that we are going just for her, I would leave if she acted like that. I would look at her and say "this is not how we act in public and because you can't behave properly, we're leaving". Before we went again I would remind her of the pervious incident and remind her that I have no problems cutting the fun short if she wants to act up. It has worked well for us. I have never and will never use a child leash as I have a moral opposition to them. But, he's your child and it's your job to keep him safe, so if you think that a leash is the best option, I'd say go for it.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 4:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I saw this on super nanny one time. Take her to a place that isnt so crowed and practice there. Tell her she has to keep her hand on the stroller at all times. If she throws a fit, let her then go home. You must tell her that she will leave the park if she lets go untill you tell her too. It will be a pain to keep driving home every time, but she will get the message that she wont be able to play if she doesnt listen. Stick it out! Try it around your own neighborhood first and offter a treat if she does it around the block or something.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I could never use one of them and I am personally not a fan. I think leashes are for dogs not kids. My daughter had her choice to either hold my hand like a big girl or sit in the stroller or cart depending where we were. Be firm and let him know that if he doesn't hold your hand then you won't be going to the park or where ever you need to go. Tantrums...stop where you are and have a talk with him and tell him that isn't excepted.
    Anonymous

• I think they can be a fantastic tool when needed. I got one of the ones that looks like a monkey and doubles as a backpack when my oldest was little and will use it for this one if I ever need it. It's no worse than leaving a kid strapped into a stroller all the time and much more pleasant for them than walking with one arm up in the air all the time either (seriously, hold your arm up like that and see how long it's comfortable and has feeling)
    Anonymous

• I had 3 leashes at one time 3 of my children were under the age of 5 and didn't always want to sit in the double stroller. I was very strict sometimes when it was too busy traffic.. etc.. for them to walk anyhow. and they'd have to sit in the stroller and they understood that it was safer in the stroller for mom to watch the traffic and such. . The leashes worked great at the mall and crowded stores where strollers are bulky too . I liked knowing where they each were and it was within reach. Peach of mind makes for a cheerful mom and the kids tended to like that side of me better anyhow.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2010