ADD and ADHD......aren't these considered learning disablities??

my youngest brother is taking medication for ADHD and I was always told that it is considered a learning disability. When I referred to my brother as having a learning disability my mother got very defensive and said that's not what he has. I just dropped it. My husband and I personally feel these are made up "diseases" or whatever you want to call them...lol. We feel it's more of a discipline problem....(for my brother at least). I was just curious what others thought? I'm just not sure how to respond to my mother when we talk about my brother's situation. This is not meant to start drama....like I said these are just my personal opinions :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you think ADD and ADHD are made up conditions, then you've never worked with someone who actually has them. I believe that they are over diagnosed and used as an excuse in some areas, however, both my nephews definately have ADHD one is autistic as well. Two friends have sons that are autistic and ADHD as well. They actually are. It can effect learning in a lot of different ways. I is not classified as a learning disability however, if severe enough can be classified as a disability allowing IEP's for students who need them.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 5:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• ADD and ADHD can and often do interfere with the learning process. In that way the child is diabled but not like dyslexia or something does. ADD and ADHD are not made up, fantasies, wishful thinking or just disciplinary problems. Has it been over diagnosed in the past?..absolutely. If a child truly had ADD/ADHD they usually have impulsivity problems. They have difficulty focusing and staying on task. My son has severe ADHD. When he takes his meds he is able to fuinction well and make good decisions. When he doesn't his life is in shambles. One bad choice and decsion after another. He is now 27. My son once described to a Dr. what it was like to have ADHD. He said "it's like if you're watching a TV in your brain, but someone else has the remote. and keeps flipping channels. You keep trying to turn it back to the one you were watching but the faster you go back the faster it flips off" CONT"D
    Anonymous

• No it is not a LD, it is also not made up. Do some research about it online so you can get a better understanding of what is going on and how to help your mother. She is just wanting your support. It can be very difficult dealing with a child with any disorder. I do think it is over diagnosed but anyone that goes the extent that most parents do for their children you would see it is not made up or "bad parenting" for the most part. Meds are not the answer as in a miracle, it still takes alot of work , nor is it an easy fix. It is also not an easy decision to put your child on meds.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My youngest son began having issues with speech and such at an early age. When he began school and was having trouble the first thing all the "professionals" wanted to do was throw him under the ADD bus. After all his brother has it. Turns out my youngest does not have ADD. He has three learning disabilities( VMI, SPI and dyslexia). Why do I include this here..because it is a parents job to intercede for their child. You can't just do nothing and at the same time you can't allow people to start labeling your child without proper testing and eval.
    As far as your Mom goes. You should apologize. You can't imagine how difficult it can be to raise an ADHD child.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• ADD and ADHD are not learning disabilities and they are also not a tragedy. The way some people act, you'd think the child got diagnosed with cancer. Changes in diet and discipline can make a world of difference. Some of you need to quit acting like the world is coming to an end and your kid is going to die and should get special treatment because of this overused label.
    Anonymous

• They are behavioral problems, which can lead to learning difficulties, but they are not actual learning disabilities. They are also not medical problems, although they are treated with medicine. They are behavioral problems, and need to be treated with behavior modification. I've worked with medicated and unmedicated kids diagnosed with ADD and ADHD. Most of it is BS.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It may be true your mother may have a parenting issue regarding your brother but I respectfully disagree these are made up diseases. ADHD is a real medical diagnosis recognized by all the medical associations. It can be very serious but there is a continuum or spectrum where children fall on who are living with this disorder. This is nothing to LOL about. ADHD is not a learning disability. Many children and adults who live with ADHD are productive, intelligent, and capable persons. Some people who are living with this disorder do have learning difficulties due to other comorbid issues going on. Each person and each situation is unique.  Since you are not your brother's parent you don't have to say anything to your mother but just listen and be sympathetic and supportive of her.  You have the right to your opinion certainly but being rude to your mother and her other child is not a right.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Well I can tell you for certain that they are not made up. I myself have ADD, I was diagnosed when I was about 9. My older brother has it worse than I do, my mother has it as well and I believe my grandmother may even have a mild case of it. Thankfully, my son shows no signs of it himself and for that I am very happy. I've never really considered ADD/ADHD to be a learning disibility although it can lead most definitely lead to some trouble at school/work/home at times. ADD/ADHD not only varies from day to day, it can vary from minute to minute. It can be very frustrating but it doesn't have to be all life controlling and consuming. Try to be understanding of it though, it's really easy when you have something like that to feel stupid and inferior. Especially when you are trying your absolute hardest and can't get something simple done because it's a bad ADD day.
    K.D.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2010