Hubby And I Found A Place Maybe...

We seen a friend of ours who is an older man last night and told him we were looking for a place to rent but cannot afford todays prices and he said he owns a trailer that is close to where my hubby works like 4 mins away. He said no one has lived in it though for bout 15 years and its not the best looking thing but all we would have to pay would be $150 a month to live in it ( his lot rent) Water included ....it is only a 2 br and its a single wide and we currently have 2 kids a toddler and a boy on the way.We live my in laws now and it has gotten to the point of we have to move because of the way they treat me as well as my daughter.What do you think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• we only have one bedroom here and cant stand the way we are treated by the way. I would prolly live in a shack lol
    Anonymous

• It sounds like a good possibility but you should actually see the trailer before you agree to anything. Make sure it is safe and livable. If it has been unoccupied for 15 years a whole family of raccoons could be living there, and you don't want to discover that on moving day. I am being dramatic, but you know what I mean. Also, consider having a lease in place that would spell out who is responsible for any repairs or maintenance on the trailer- for example if the heater breaks or there is a hole in the roof that is typically the landlords problem to pay to fix, but without a lease he could tell you to pay for it yourself or move out. Good luck! I am sure you are eager for a place of your own. Another thing to consider would be housing that bases the rent on your income. You might be able to get an apartment this way if you look into it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• We have checked in to based on income apartments but hate all the crime that goes on there and drugs usage and things like that and we want our kids to be as safe as possible.The man that would be renting it to us checks on it every week .Its just no one has actually lived in it for 15 years.he said its not the best looking thing but it's something and he is a very trustworthy great man so I dont think he would try to rip us off lol but I understand what you are saying.
    Anonymous

• My DH and I were in the same sort of situation and a house came available next door to his Grandmother that was free rent. It is a pretty good deal and the house was lived in about 6months before but just remember what you have to deal with with old houses. They are not well insulated and there are about 100 insertion points for critters to come in. We pay a pretty penny for Orkin pest control and it still doesn't completely fix the whole water bugs in the summer and mice in the winter problem. It makes us feel disgusting like things are crawling on us at night. We are moving ina week to a one year old duplex that is very clean and well insulated. I would just think about these things if I were you. It's ok for a while, but you should be saving up to find a better place. You definately get what you pay for.
    Anonymous

• I would go look at it first. If he hasnt been taking care of it the roof will leak. Find out at that kind of rent who will be doing repairs and get it in writing. Mice are pretty common in trailers. It might work for a little while but you are going to want to keep looking.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2010