Calling all Crafty moms!

So we are in the middle of decorating a nursery for our little boy who will be here in April. The colors are blue and brown. So here is my question:

I saw fabric yesterday at JoAnn's that is perfect! Can I get a white lamp shade and cover it with the fabric? If so, how do I do it? My husband says its a fire hazard...I can't see it being one...anyone do this before?

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 4:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• All you need is the lampshade, fabric, a spray adhesive, some sort of trim (ribbon, rope, rick rack, etc), and a glue gun.

Make a pattern for the lampshade by tracing it with a pencil on a piece of paper. If the lampshade has some sort of covering on it remove it from the shade and lay it out flat to trace your pattern. Use a fabric pencil to then trace the pattern onto the fabric. Cut out the fabric. Spray the shade with adhesive and carefully apply the fabric, taking care to smoothe out any lumps. Use the glue gun to apply the trim at both the top and bottom to hide the raw edges.

This can also be done by taking apart the lampshade and tracing the pattern on poster board and then fabric and using the poster board as the inner lining. It just depends on the shade you purchase and what it's made of whether you can just apply the fabric or need to do the stiff liner and fabric.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I know you can. google it or even try looking on youtube and see if there is a video on how to do that. I use youtube alot for things like that.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• http://www.howcast.com/videos/317-How-To-ReCover-a-Lampshade

If it was going to be a fire-hazard it wouldn't have had a shade on it to begin with ;)
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• http://interiordec.about.com/od/howtodothings/ht/coverlampshade.htm

couldn't find one at hobbylobby.com but I know they have them because I seriously considered buying one. The above link is how to cover a lamp shade step by step instructions that seem pretty easy.

KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 5:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• You can. Go to Youtube.com and search "Recovering Lamps" ..
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Look it up on HGTV.com, I definitely dont see it as a fire hazard though. I mean isn't some sorta fabric already on lamp shades anyways
    mom_interrupted

Answer by mom_interrupted at 9:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010