What's up with the Mormon-haters?

I am completely anti-religious, but even I don't hate Mormons. Maybe it's because I went to high school with a large number of them, but I think they are actually really great, really cool people.
It seems silly to ask this question, but almost everywhere I go on the internet, I see Mormon-bashing and I don't understand it. It's not like their beliefs are any more far out than others'.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont hate mormons, I just do not agree with them. If you really dug in deep regarding Mormon's and their faith.. it is far out but no one wants to admit that do they? :-) God still loves them, just not what they do against His name.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It's not like their beliefs are any more far out than others'.

I agree. Their religion is as ridiculous as all the rest. We have lots of Mormons here (Nevada) and my only issue with them is that they bug you at your house. They're generally more polite than Christians though.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I'm LDS and I don't see the problem with us either. We are just trying to be good people, stand up for truth and trying to maintain good standards. There is a lot of misinformed people out there who, instead of going to the source, choose to go somewhere else for thier information about our beliefs.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 5:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think it's because of all the ex-moromons..they spread a lot of lies about the church. Also, many people tend to be cruel to those whom they don't understand unfortently. I've been a mormon most of my life, and every now and again I came across people like this. Unforently, I don't really go to church all that much anymore, but still, I find it sad that so many people bash on moromons.
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 5:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think it is the extreme, cult-like sects of Mormonism that give it a bad name.
    Anonymous

• As an LDS person, I'm really grateful for those kids you knew in high school that were a good example to you. Thanks for your respect. It's very appreciated.
    Anonymous

• I'm LDS and most of the time its because most people have no idea what they are talking about. People have warped views of what we believe, &instead of taking the time to ask someone who is LDS or to at least visit our churchs website to see if what they've heard is true, they just take what they think as truth & pass it on to others. Then it becomes like a game of telephone where perhaps the original person actually knew what they were talking about, but the beliefs have gone through so many people that the end result is nowhere near what we believe. I mean, my MIL thinks that we do human sacrifices in our temples.....lol....Also something I have found is here in the South (I live in AL) many churches have seminars on why out church (as well as the JW's) is wrong. Even in these seminars the teacher has no idea. They take our beliefs&warp them until they do not even have the truth, and they teach this to their members

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I don't hate them.. there are a few followers that did things I don't appreciate.. but I won't blame a whole group for a few extremists... I've seen it in all religions.. so it is what it is.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Is it true that there are arranged marriages?
    Anonymous

• Where are you going on the internet that you see so much hate against mormons? Are you confusing the recent stories about all the fundamentalist LDS that practice polygamy with underage girls with the more mainstream LDS?

Also, is it really hate or is it questioning their beliefs and asking for explanations or irritation at being disturbed at home.
    Anonymous