can anyone testify to the effectiveness of "your baby can read"

I was wanting to purchase the "your baby can read" program for my children, but i've purchased thing on tv/online that turned out to be a giant dissappointment. I was just wondering if any of you parents have used it and if the results were worth the money or not.

kaydens_mamma

Asked by kaydens_mamma at 5:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• think pavlovs dogs. it doesnt really work. its just teaching recognition and action based on that. but not reading
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I don't really see the point of it. I don't need my baby to read. I'm perfectly content reading to her. She can worry about learning to read later when all the other kids do. Toddlerhood doesn't require much reading anyway . . .lol Let babies be BABIES. You push them to learn to read and then by second grade all the other kids have caught up with them anyway.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I used to read to my kids every night before bedtime, but now that i work fulltime and dont get off work til 11pm, it's hard to do that. And i cant rely on my bf to do it, i had the hardest time trying to get him to remember to make the kids brush their teeth before bed, i'm not even going to attempt to teach him to read to them before bed.
    kaydens_mamma

Answer by kaydens_mamma at 5:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Go ahead and buy it...believe all the hype. Why ask, then delete the question?

It will not help. It is just repitition. Not actual learning to read. And like the others said. They will be caught up to. Read and talk to your child.

I, on my own, could read at 3. Like a grown-up. I am no more advanced in school or life than anyone else.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• dont bother..go to your local library and check out the bumble bee dvds its meant for speech therapy targeting babies and toddlers. but its more less the same method. our speech therapist lets us check out a dvd from the school library....and the first few times my 2 yr watched it...after that she spent more time running around and playing to even pay attention to the video. im sticking to the easy to read books and hook on phonics to teach my kids to read...
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• first, i deleted the question cuz i accidentally posted it twice lol, my computer has slight issues from time to time...

I didnt think it would be a good idea especially considering my kids wont sit still in front of the tv for anything, but i dont mind that. I just didnt know if the infomercials were just hyping it all up. Thanks for your help! At least now i know why i always kept myself from picking up my credit card whenever i saw that stupid thing. lol
    kaydens_mamma

Answer by kaydens_mamma at 6:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My son was reading entirely by himself at 4 years old. Now he is five and reading at a fourth grade level. I did buy the Your Baby Can Read series but did not find it anywhere near as helpful as the Leap Frog products. For what that set of DVDs cost you can go to www.leapfrog.com get your child the Word Whammer, The Leapfrog movies, The Tag reading system (don't waste your time on the junior version go ahead and get the original) and make sure to get the Long E etc series. These all really made a difference and were great tools. Remember the products won't teach your child to read alone but they might give you some great ideas on how to encourage your child to read and explain how basic skills work. The $1 work books you find at Target and the Dollar Tree are wonderful too. Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• It's not reading. It's memorization. It's crap. As someone else said, it's like Pavlov's dogs. Don't fall for the scam. Children that are taught to read with a phonics foundation (when possible, a small percentage of children don't have success with phonics) end up better life long readers.
    Anonymous

• My LO can't read from watching it but she has learned a ton of new words. Her vocab exploded after watching the videos. If you want something that will be that effective but not cost a fortune you can use the leap frog DVD's and they are way cheaper.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I read and heard elsewhere that the whole learning from the tv is not as productive as the old fashioned way. Dunno how true it is. But our tv is for disney princesses I guess. lol.
    Sersokhi

Answer by Sersokhi at 2:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2010