For all the ERF/carseat tech mamas

My son is 19 months and I would like to keep him RF, but after reading a recent post about RF vs FF I reviewed the safety manual for my son's seat (Britax roundabout) it said that he needed to be one inch shorter than the top of the carseat. So I promptly went outside and sat him in his seat. He is above this limit, it will be at least two weeks before I can get a different seat. Should I keep him RF in the meantime or turn him around?

Natsnumberthree

Asked by Natsnumberthree at 5:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I forgot to add he is 25 lbs.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 5:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• That's a hard one. Personally I'd refuse to take him in the car until he was in a safe car seat. Since he's clearly over the limits for rear facing, I might forward face for two weeks and be very conservative about how/where I'd allow him to be driven. Is he above the height limit for forward facing, too?
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 6:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I think it is important to follow the owners manual
    hotslingmama

Answer by hotslingmama at 8:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• personally, i would just put him forward facing. the seat i have can do either, but my 19 month is 25 lbs and has been forward facing for a LONG time now. I followed the instructions on the seat. when she was at the weight to be forward facing that is what i did. she was long enough that she was getting cramped being backward facing. I feel that she is safe, I am following the guidelines.

and what does ERF mean?
    Anonymous

• That's a tough one Nat. Personally, I would keep him RFing and only take him out if you need to but it's really a judgment call. Ironically, Luke is barely tall enough to meet the FFing minimum(34") on our carseat. We're hopefully getting a Sunshine Kids Radian soon.
    CMcDougal

Answer by CMcDougal at 9:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• HOW MUCH over the limit is he? If it's just barely, I'd keep him rear facing.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 2:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2010